PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Help Please

Roscoe
20-06-2014, 11:53 AM
I am still learning Windows 8. What would be helpful is a search button where I could find things, but the only search I can find (in Control Panel) is the one that searches the apps, not the entire OS. Can someone tell me where I can find that, please.

Also, I am looking for Start Up. Is it still under msconfig? If so, where do I find that, please?

I am borrowing a book - Windows 8 for Dummies - from the library which should be a big help. Meantime, your help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Press the windows key + r then type msconfig

Right mouse on the bottom left icon, it'll give you a bit of a menu. Search is one of the options.

pcuser42
20-06-2014, 12:22 PM
I am still learning Windows 8. What would be helpful is a search button where I could find things, but the only search I can find (in Control Panel) is the one that searches the apps, not the entire OS. Can someone tell me where I can find that, please.

The Start screen - just start typing :)

Also, I am looking for Start Up. Is it still under msconfig? If so, where do I find that, please?

Startup items have moved to the Task Manager - click More details then the Start-up tab.

Roscoe
20-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Press the windows key + r then type msconfig

Right mouse on the bottom left icon, it'll give you a bit of a menu. Search is one of the options.

Thanks so much, Speedy and PCUser. Very helpful and most appreciated.

Roscoe
23-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Another question for something else I cannot find: whereabouts is Solitaire and Spider Solitaire? The only games I could find were some children's games which I uninstalled.

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Theyre not part of Win8. There are no games installed with Win8. But you can get them from the Store. Looks like there's 4 versions of Spider solitaire on the store

lakewoodlady
23-06-2014, 08:27 PM

I am borrowing a book - Windows 8 for Dummies - from the library which should be a big help. Meantime, your help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Windows 8 for Dummies won't be of much use unless it incorporates the update 8.1 + the update to 8.1......
LL