PDA

View Full Version : WP2 wireless security

barryk
19-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Hello PressF1ers,

I have set up Wi-fi security in this home network to be of the WPA/WPA2 PSK type. There are four devices in this house, of which two are computers and the other two are mobiles. The two mobiles and one of the two computers can connect to the modem by Wi-fi.

One of the two mobiles is my mobile which shows the Wi-fi security type is WPA/WPA2 PSK.

This leaves my laptop which I've been unable to connect by Wi-Fi. I was puzzled by why it wouldn't connect wirelessly when the other three devices can. I had a good look at the Wi-fi software on this laptop of mine.

It's now my guess that the problem is caused by my laptop being 8 years old - I got this laptop around January 2006. That must have been just a few months before the WPA2 standard became common for WI-Fi security in computers?

Would my guess be correct or not? What can I do to confirm that my guess is correct?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry.

barryk
19-06-2014, 10:31 PM
In case you're wondering how my laptop still connects to the Internet to be able to send posts to this forum, I have connected my laptop using a Giga Ethernet cable.

wainuitech
19-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Simple test - either lower or disable the security, then try your laptop. If it connects at a lower level it may not like the higher options. Seen a lot of older laptops have problems with modern Wireless security.

Chilling_Silence
20-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Try changing it to WEP. It's better than nothing, but everything will support it, even the older wireless cards from back in 2006 :)

WarNox
20-06-2014, 10:37 AM
What version of Windows are you running?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=1974

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2014, 02:06 PM
If XP is on it is SP3 installed? And see if there are updated drivers for the wifi network card / whatever it is

Agent_24
20-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Try changing it to WEP. It's better than nothing

I wouldn't, WEP has a known flaw and is easily cracked.

Try TKIP encryption instead of AES if you have that option.

A WiFi card from 2006 *should* be able to handle WPA2 - but make sure you have the latest drivers.

Chilling_Silence
21-06-2014, 06:38 AM
I wouldn't, WEP has a known flaw and is easily cracked.
A WiFi card from 2006 *should* be able to handle WPA2 - but make sure you have the latest drivers.

*Should* is the keyword but it's still not guaranteed. This will tell us either way :)

barryk
16-07-2014, 09:07 PM
*Should* is the keyword but it's still not guaranteed. This will tell us either way :)

I have SP2 installed with my WIN XP at the moment. It seems like a significant amount of work to get WPA2 WI-FI going with this laptop which entails either downloading SP3 and suitable drivers into my WIN XP or putting in a Wi-Fi card.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Well you're not going to get wireless / WPA2, with an ethernet cable. Is this installed then (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1974)?? You'll have to install SP3 sometime

barryk
16-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Well you're not going to get wireless / WPA2, with an ethernet cable. Is this installed then (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1974)?? You'll have to install SP3 sometime

I visited http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1974 and I don't think this WP2A bit is installed with my WIN XP. I also see that Microsoft has ended support for WIN XP? If so, does this mean I cannot download the WP2A bit nor SP3?

Agent_24
16-07-2014, 09:31 PM
You can still download the old updates. They just won't be making any new ones.

barryk
16-07-2014, 09:57 PM
You can still download the old updates. They just won't be making any new ones.

Thanks Agent_24. When I get time, I'll try downloading the WP2A update for my WINXP SP2. I've put that on my to-do list.

17-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Update the wifi driver
If that doesnt work, buy a $30 wifi USB dongle

If you can, load XP's SP3 .

barryk
17-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Update the wifi driver
If that doesnt work, buy a $30 wifi USB dongle

If you can, load XP's SP3 .

I was asked just now if I wanted to download Abode Reader v9 and I went to the Abode download webpage and was asked which operating system I am using - WIN XP SP2 32 bit or 64 bit. How do I tell which one it is - 32 bit or 64 bit? By looking somewhere in Control Panel? Tried looking in System Performance in Control Panel but can't see anything to do with 32 bit or 64 bit.

I may have some time this weekend to download WIN XP SP3.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2014, 09:55 PM
XP is 32 bit. What asked you if you wanted to download adobe reader?? I would install something smaller like foxit (may have to do a custom install, if this has it), or sumatrapdf. If you want a PDF reader

wainuitech
17-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I was asked just now if I wanted to download Abode Reader v9 and I went to the Abode download webpage and was asked which operating system I am using - WIN XP SP2 32 bit or 64 bit. How do I tell which one it is - 32 bit or 64 bit? By looking somewhere in Control Panel? Tried looking in System Performance in Control Panel but can't see anything to do with 32 bit or 64 bit.

I may have some time this weekend to download WIN XP SP3. High chance its X86.

Start/All Programs/ Accessories / System Tools / System Information -- Under System Type - you'll see what it is, X86=32 X64 =64

Personally wouldn't get that bloated Adobe -- Suggest Nitro Reader

barryk
17-07-2014, 10:44 PM
High chance its X86.

Start/All Programs/ Accessories / System Tools / System Information -- Under System Type - you'll see what it is, X86=32 X64 =64

Personally wouldn't get that bloated Adobe -- Suggest Nitro Reader

Looked up System Type and it said "X86-based PC" so my XP system is a 32 bit system.

Will try Nitro Reader or something less resource hungry than Abode Reader. Didn't know that there were PDF readers other than Adobe Reader. Most users would think Abode Reader was the only PDF reader around?

zqwerty
17-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Why not try this:

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html