PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Professional

tinakarori
19-06-2014, 03:44 PM
How do I find the serial number of the Windows 7 Professional os installed on my HP desktop?

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2014, 03:50 PM
There's no sticker on it now??

paulw
19-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Have a look for file called keyfinder. It displays the keycodes for some MS sofware

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

wainuitech
19-06-2014, 04:30 PM
As Speedy Asked -- the Sticker. You can run a keyfinder, BUT if its the original HP Factory Install, while you can reinstall the OS with that key it wont Activate, and calling MS you will be told to use the sticker on the case as the HP Key is a OEM SLP key (System-Locked Pre-installation)

Edited: this explains what a SLP key that HP have used:slp-product-keys/ (http://www.foolishit.com/tech-info/slp-product-keys/)

dugimodo
19-06-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure if it was legit or not but on an older compaq machine (same company now) I was given which did have the key on the side (for XP pro in this case) I searched for and downloaded a windows disk image for that model from somewhere and when I installed it it was already activated. I wasn't worried as I had the actual key (just not a disk) but the installer never asked for it and everything checked out and validated online when I tried it.

tinakarori
19-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks Wainui - you are absolutely right: it's the oem install. I have a set of two System Recovery DVDs "Windows 7 Recovery Media for Windows 7 Professional" that came with the HP Pro when I bought it through TradeMe. The envelopes are sealed, but neither they nor the DVDs show what I would recognise as a Keycode.

The MagicJellyBean Keyfinder app as suggested by paulw found the Win 7 CD Key on the PC. Will this work if I use the two System Recovery DVDs to attempt to install Win 7 on a compatible laptop that is presently running Vista (which is what my enquiry is aimed at)?

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Probably not if what you want to put it on didnt have it originally. Recovery DVDs are usually part of whatever it came with. And may not work or activate on another computer.

wainuitech
19-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Real Recovery CD's / DVD's ( ones that come from the manufactures or made from the original OS) have the product key embedded.

Just to add to Speedys post -- Often the recovery DVD's wont even run on other hardware, as they are looking for pre-configured hardware for the PC / Laptop they are meant to be installed on. The drivers will be all wrong as well.