PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu

ianhnz
18-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Hey guys.
still have a few issues with my Xubuntu 14.04.
1. If I close lid I have to power down and restart to use system. I understand it's a setup thing, but I don't know how to.
2. Just bought a wireless mouse and stright off all 5 buttons work, but if screen goes dark I have to turn mouse on and off to get it working.
Thanks,
Ian

Speedy Gonzales
19-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Probably be easier / faster if you do a Google search. Or visit xubuntu forums. It probably goes to sleep when you shut the lid. Press a key see if it wakes up

KarameaDave
19-06-2014, 02:48 PM
There are multiple bugs and deficiencies in ACPI implimention in linux on some hardware.
3.15 kernel is supposed to address some of these.
3.16 will bring even more improvements apparently.
My Asus 1201n has issues with sleep and hibernate that don't occur on my homebuilt desktop.
I just shut it down each time, plus I have disabled lid close actions in power management anyway. This is in Opensuse which I am trying at the moment.

Have you tried configuring actions in power management?
It should be under System on your panel right hand side from the image I have seen.
Otherwise I think you may have to look to the Xubuntu forums for a resolution if one exists.
Good luck.

KarameaDave
19-06-2014, 03:12 PM
You are not the only one with issues, in this case not in the kernel but in XFCE

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-power-manager/+bug/1259339

Not sure if it is your issue though it could well be.

dugimodo
19-06-2014, 03:30 PM
My laptop wouldn't come back from having the lid shut with Linux Mint either. I just found the option to for it going in to standby when I closed the lid somewhere in MINTs menus and disabled it - problem more or less solved. It was only temporary for me though until I fix the hard drive and reinstall windows so the laptop is no longer running linux. Power management in general seems much better under windows 7 for mine.

I was impressed in many ways with Linux MINT on my laptop, much of the hardware detected and installed automatically easier than the initial setup for windows by quite a bit, and the wi-fi networking seemed more straightforward too. However once I got windows fulling running again it is better in my case, just harder to set up

ianhnz
19-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Probably be easier / faster if you do a Google search. Or visit xubuntu forums. It probably goes to sleep when you shut the lid. Press a key see if it wakes up

Yes, pressing a key brings up password box, does that a few times then black screen. Thats when I power down and restart

ianhnz
19-06-2014, 03:55 PM
There are multiple bugs and deficiencies in ACPI implimention in linux on some hardware.
3.15 kernel is supposed to address some of these.
3.16 will bring even more improvements apparently.
My Asus 1201n has issues with sleep and hibernate that don't occur on my homebuilt desktop.
I just shut it down each time, plus I have disabled lid close actions in power management anyway. This is in Opensuse which I am trying at the moment.

Have you tried configuring actions in power management?
It should be under System on your panel right hand side from the image I have seen.
Otherwise I think you may have to look to the Xubuntu forums for a resolution if one exists.
Good luck.
I've tried look for power management and spent sometime, last night on forums and gave up.

ianhnz
19-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I've had so many problems, with this and no so little about linux, thinking may may to put Windows 7 Starter back on.
Anyone know where I can get a, safe, ISO image to copy to flash drive for a reload?