PDA

View Full Version : Lots of emeails that cant be delievered - but I never sent them

Digby
17-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi
Today I have been getting emails about some emails that "I sent" that can't be delivered.

They are mostly from or to Yahoo which I do not use.

Is this a new scam or have I been broken into ?

Webdevguy
17-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi
Today I have been getting emails about some emails that "I sent" that can't be delivered.

They are mostly from or to Yahoo which I do not use.

Is this a new scam or have I been broken into ?

I'd say you have been broken into. Change your Yahoo password.

Speedy Gonzales
17-06-2014, 04:50 PM
He said he doesnt use it. Probably one of Telecoms screw ups if you're with them

Digby
17-06-2014, 04:58 PM
mmm
I'm not with Yahoo or Telecom.
I've been with Actrix for years.
May I should ask them ?

I ran Malware bytes and could not see any problems.

CYaBro
17-06-2014, 06:43 PM
More likely is that your email address has been spoofed and is being used to send out spam to random email addresses by some third party.
Since a lot of these random email addresses don't exist there is a bounce back error saying it couldn't be delivered and because it looks like they originally came from your email address you get these bounce back errors.
Nothing you can do about except delete them and wait it out, it usually doesn't last more than a few days.

Tbird650
17-06-2014, 09:41 PM
+1 for what CYaBro said. I have been caught twice with this older scam. On top of a list of possible causes is that link I clicked in an email from unknown (to me) sender. The click didn't appear to do anything or go anywhere, but I now wonder if the damage was done right there.

As others have said, change password immediately.

Digby
18-06-2014, 05:41 AM
More likely is that your email address has been spoofed and is being used to send out spam to random email addresses by some third party.
Since a lot of these random email addresses don't exist there is a bounce back error saying it couldn't be delivered and because it looks like they originally came from your email address you get these bounce back errors.
Nothing you can do about except delete them and wait it out, it usually doesn't last more than a few days.

Thanks for your explanation - its sounds realistic.

But why would it stop happening after a few days?
Once they have spoofed my address why would they stop using it ?

CYaBro
18-06-2014, 08:02 AM
A few reasons like the third party could be another innocent person whose computer got infected and started sending out the spam. They realise they have an infection and get it cleaned out.