PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer - WEAR & TEAR

14-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone.... I have just had a virus removed from my PC Company computer... The computer shop that did it, insisted that I needed to fit a seperate CD Rom drive, as he said that using the CDRW drive all the time was bad for it, and that it would wear out very quickly. As the new CD Rom drive was not all that expensive, I got him to install it, as I took him at his word. Thinking about it now,I feel like I have been conned. WAS HE CORRECT or just taking advantage of a newbie ?... SEAN W.

14-12-2001, 06:32 PM
Hi Sean,

He provided good advice. Although the CD Writers they are selling now are high quality and will last a long time, the laser optics / drive mechanism will eventually wear out. The reasoning behind this advice is that it is much cheaper to replace a $80 CD-ROM than a $300 CD-Writer.

It depends on your usage. If you plan to run a lot of games from CD then the drive will wear out much faster than if you are just using it to write CD's. If you copy the CD's to hard disk then it is probably not necessary.

19-12-2001, 03:32 PM
I think he was taking advantage. Modern componentry lasts for years when used by an 'average user'. If you've still got your computer 5 years from now it'll still be going strong. Chances are though, you'll have upgraded to a newer model.

My company had a myriad of computers of different ages, none of which were ever switched off and still going strong. You probably spent $80 or so you didn't need to.