PDA

View Full Version : Un-Zipping

Poppa John
16-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi All

I have an Imation DVD+RW disc containing Maryann's pictures. It appears to be a zip file/folder. We dont recall how it was done, but, either on XP or W7. We would like to open it. Have tried on XP, W7 & W8, various programms on these comps but to no avail. Can you help please. PJ

pcuser42
16-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Try 7-zip if Windows won't open it.

wainuitech
16-06-2014, 06:32 PM
various programms on these comps but to no avail. What happens ??? is there some sort Of error message ? W7 & 8 has inbuilt unzipping programs.

You may also find the programs wont unzip from a CD/DVD ( you may have to copy them to the computer) - they should though- but you will have to tell them where to unzip to, you cant unzip to a CD/DVD.

:2cents: They could also be corrupted-- I Dont trust RW Disc's in any form. :2cents:

Lately, myself have changed to peazip http://peazip.sourceforge.net/ all you do is right click, and unzip

Agent_24
19-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Screenshot?
What's the file extension?

Was it done with a backup program? Could be a proprietary format or encrypted.

Poppa John
25-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Had to concede defeat on this one. Thanks for the help. PJ

John H
26-06-2014, 10:39 AM
PJ, having had a problem like this myself some years ago, I think the third sentence in wainuitech's reply is probably the key to solving this problem ["You may also find the programs wont unzip from a CD/DVD ( you may have to copy them to the computer) - they should though- but you will have to tell them where to unzip to, you cant unzip to a CD/DVD."].

Have you tried copying the zip file/folder from the DVD on to your computer, and then unzipping it on the PC? As wainuitech says, you may be prevented from unzipping the DVD folder, because the PC will automatically try to unzip to a new folder on the DVD, which it cannot do.

Poppa John
26-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Doesn't matter now. disc cut up & dumped. Thanks . PJ

gary67
26-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Un Zipping in public could get you arrested

27-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Un Zipping in public could get you arrested

Not if youre a UK TV celebrity