PDA

View Full Version : Opinion, how much RAM does a Gaming PC need?

dugimodo
16-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I have 8GB of RAM in my gaming PC and it runs everything I throw at it just fine, however I also run dual screens and often have other things running on the 2nd screen while gaming and some RAM is used by the onboard GPU which the 2nd screen runs off. Lately while alt tabbing out of Wolfenstein New order I've had low memory warnings and windows offering to close the game for me to prevent data loss.

If I check the resource monitor it looks like I'm at 50% RAM usage so I don't know what it's on about, I must park the performance monitor on the 2nd screen next time and see what happens. Anyway I'm not having any actual problems, I ignore the warning, tab back into the game, and carry on.

The point of this thread is it's got me wondering if we have finally reached the point where 8GB is not all you need for a gaming rig any more and should I upgrade to 16. My board is an itx so I have to replace the 8GB I can't add to it.

What do we think, particularly the gamers among you?

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Most games probably wouldnt use anywhere near 8 GB anyway. Unless it's 64 bit

pctek
16-06-2014, 04:57 PM
8GB is fine....alt tabbing is something most games don't like too much, regardless.

The single most important component is the GPU. Then the CPU.
Get the highest ranked GPU you can......and pair it with at least a medium CPU.

You can add more RAM but it's not the crucial thing unless really low.

I did put 16GB in mine (had 8GB before) but that was just because I could - and the fact that my DDR3 is now dirt cheap....it has made no major difference to anything.

I have a HD7970 and an elderly i5 750.

Any other RAM changes happen when I change MBs, then it's MB, CPU and RAM all in one go....

dugimodo
16-06-2014, 05:10 PM
I was just curious if anyone has needed or can justify 16GB for a normal gaming PC yet or if 8GB is still plenty. I've stuck to 8GB for a while now, seemed like 16GB was overkill from my experience. This is the first time I've considered more. My rig is in my signature, you can see there are no issues with CPU/GPU for 1080P gaming.

I've had the itch to build a new PC but this year there is really nothing to be gained so probably what will end up happening is I'll build one next year when there are next gen CPU/GPU options available and go for 16GB then. My graphics card has had some changes largely as a result of my foray into litecoin mining but not because It needed it. From 7970 -> GTX760 -> R9 290 @ 1080P I really can't notice a difference in practice.

Somehow over the years I've gone from upgrading only when needed to building a new PC every 2 yrs, to 18 months, to 12 months... but now the trend is reversing because the diff between each generation has been so small lately. It is good to build a new PC while the old one still is new enough to have good resale value though.

pctek
17-06-2014, 07:42 AM
I was just curious if anyone can justify 16GB for a normal gaming PC

Justify? If you want more, buy more....you don't have to have an excuse if you can afford it.
I did.

DeSade
17-06-2014, 11:05 AM
I have 16GB
Next build it goes up to 32Gb at a minimum.

Agent_24
19-06-2014, 09:12 PM
If I check the resource monitor it looks like I'm at 50% RAM usage so I don't know what it's on about

What about pagefile usage?

dugimodo
19-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Thanks Agent I did mean to check that and it was the pagefile causing the error, somehow it had got set to a custom size of 200M-1024M. Weird. I set it back to the D: drive and system managed.

dugimodo
19-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Justify? If you want more, buy more....you don't have to have an excuse if you can afford it.
I did.

What I meant by Justify was really could someone show a common situation where it actually helps. Now that I've sorted my issue I'm back to having no memory issues at all with 8Gb so I'll stick with it.
I wasn't looking for an excuse exactly, more a reason if you see the distinction. I have an i7 because I wanted one and thought it might eventually pay off but that's the only part I did that on.

gary67
20-06-2014, 07:42 AM
My work comp which is an i5 was having a few issues with 4Gb Ram I use kitchen design software) it would randomly lock up.

Got the tech at work to up it to 8Gb and now it runs very nicely, and yet task-manager was saying the Ram was never maxxed out but the HDD would spin up to 100% during each lock-up, I was having to sit around waiting for it all to catch up.