PDA

View Full Version : New W8 Q7

Poppa John
15-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi All

When I click on a blank screen I get a drop down which includes "Send To". How do I add commands to this. I need to move stuff from C drive to D drive. Thanks. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2014, 01:03 PM
You press the windows key + r to bring up run. Then type in shell:sendto. Be easier, if you copy / or cut whatever, or drag and drop from C to D. Instead of using sendto. Using sendto it'll take longer to get there then create the shortcut to D

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2014, 01:16 PM
But if you're talking about programs, you cant move them, you'll have to reinstall them if you want them on D

Poppa John
15-06-2014, 01:18 PM
You press the windows key + r to bring up run. Then type in shell:sendto. Be easier, if you copy / or cut whatever, or drag and drop from C to D. Instead of using sendto. Using sendto it'll take longer to get there then create the shortcut to D

OK Thanks. PJ

linw
15-06-2014, 03:05 PM
PJ, for copying files I recommend xplorer2 lite. It is free. I have used it constantly for many years and wouldn't be without it. It has two panels so dragging and dropping from one to the other makes copying so much easier. Available here http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

CliveM
15-06-2014, 03:55 PM
It is just as easy to open two instances of explorer side by side to do the same thing at no cost and without installing anything else.

linw
15-06-2014, 05:18 PM
No, it is not easier. There is an extra shift-click and resizing/moving involved. If you used explorer2 a lot you wouldn't go back to the side-by-side thing.

But, maybe you would - we all have to make our own choices.

Renegade
15-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Dumb question, but how do you open 2 instances on Win8? When I click on the taskbar icon it just opens up the already opened library/explorer window.

CliveM
15-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Right click and select 'open in a new window'

CliveM
15-06-2014, 06:45 PM
No, it is not easier. There is an extra shift-click and resizing/moving involved. If you used explorer2 a lot you wouldn't go back to the side-by-side thing.

But, maybe you would - we all have to make our own choices.

Win key and left or right arrow gets them side by side and sized . I really do not mind the time it takes to press a couple of keys.

Renegade
15-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Right click and select 'open in a new window'

Thanks! That always bugged me when I wanted two explorer windows open. Haven't really tinkered too much in Win8/8.1

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2014, 08:06 PM
There is no open in a new window option if you right mouse on file explorer on the taskbar (well, it's not here). Press Windows key + E it'll open another one

wainuitech
15-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks! That always bugged me when I wanted two explorer windows open. Haven't really tinkered too much in Win8/8.1 Its nothing New, its in Windows 7, you can do the exact same thing, including snap to right or left using the Win + Arrow keys.

Many people seem to think W8/8.1 is completely different, its not.

Poppa John
26-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I haven't resolved this yet. I tried some of the suggestions but could not make them work. Operator PJ error of course. Any other suggestions? Thanks. PJ

wainuitech
26-06-2014, 07:00 PM
I haven't resolved this yet. I tried some of the suggestions but could not make them work. Operator PJ error of course. Any other suggestions? Thanks. PJ

OK you asked for it :p

Open any explorer window, ( doesn't matter which) in its address bar type in ( or copy paste from here) %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

You'll now have this:

Press Enter - Once in that window you'll see a whole lot of shortcuts.

Right click a blank spot - New - Shortcut

Click Browse - Navigate to the drive you want - in this case Mines Drive V and select it.

Click OK, Next , Finish. Now when you right click a file - Send To - the option of the Drive you made before is now available.