PDA

View Full Version : All My Email Accounts Got Phishing Emails From A Trusted Emailer

bellbird
13-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I received emails to both my hotmail addresses, one gmail and my xtra account all seemingly from a friend from her hotmail account. Needless to say they weren't sent by her. I haven't had a problem before so am wondering what to do. Which of us has been hacked? Their subject lines had words like 'Rec commended', 'Uncondition al' with links to facebook messages, or Instagram. Any thoughts how I should proceed from here.

Webdevguy
13-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I received emails to both my hotmail addresses, one gmail and my xtra account all seemingly from a friend from her hotmail account. Needless to say they weren't sent by her. I haven't had a problem before so am wondering what to do. Which of us has been hacked? Their subject lines had words like 'Rec commended', 'Uncondition al' with links to facebook messages, or Instagram. Any thoughts how I should proceed from here.
You could try by changing all of your passwords on those email accounts.

bellbird
13-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks Webdevguy. I've changed xtra and gmail passwords. Waiting for security codes to change hotmail password, althought I'm not hopeful they'll work as none they have sent have ever been accepted, probably something to do with my confusion with how outlook.com works.

fred_fish
13-06-2014, 07:28 PM
You can check the message headers to see which servers they came from. This should indicate who has been "hacked" or if it just a regular sender forgery.