PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new computer purchase & power supply

bruno_liddle
11-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my 5-year old home workhorse with a new machine, and after an informal Q&A of my friends was recommended PB Tech as a great place to source a new PC from.

I've been looking at this model (WKSPB2307) (https://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB2307&name=PB-2307-Upgrade-Box-Intel-NEW-Haswell-I7-4790-Quad) to which I would want to add a second internal HDD (750GB) and soundcard (Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS - recycled from current machine) and was wondering if the power supply (at 600watt) would be powerful enough?

PC is used as a "maid of all word" (ie everything from games (although not bleeding edge) and light graphic editing to usual office tasks, assignments and browsing. I don't need anything too cutting edge BUT history tells me I'll still be using this in 5 years time so always best to get something decent now :)

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Is the 600W from your current machine too? If this is the card (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications) in the link you posted, it says 500W minimum rec

Also I would check and see if the PSU that you're going to use has 2 6 pin connectors. Looks like the link I gave (if thats the card) has these connections

bruno_liddle
11-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks Speedy. The PSU will be new (comes with the machine) with the specs (https://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=PSUZAL1600&name=ZALMAN-ZM600-GV-600W-ATX-PSU-with-MEPS-Ready---NZ-)

dugimodo
12-06-2014, 08:37 AM
600W is plenty, the only time you'd really need to check is if upgrading the graphics card in future but 600W will run most single graphics card configurations.
If you google "PSU calculator" you will find several sites that offer a free tool to check the rquirements of your hardware and reccomend a PSU - I'd guess if you input the specs from that rig and added your extras it would be in the 400-500W range.

Recommended minimums are wildly exaggerated to account for el-cheapo PSU's and to leave headroom for extra hardware and a wide safety margin. My media PC has an i5, 3 Hdd's, a GX 760, and a 300W PSU - works fine although I do worry that it's right on the limit if everything is pushed at the same time. I intend to get a 450W PSU at some point (limited choices as it's a SFF PSU).

inphinity
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Personally I would dump the Audigy and just use the onboard sound. For starters, that ancient soundcard is PCI, so you'd have to specifically find a (now fairly rare) board with PCI slots. Unless you're an audiophile, imo there's no reason to not use integrated audio, and if you ARE and audiophile, the Audigy 2 is an old beast far past it's glory days, so step up to something like the X-Fi Titanium HD, or Asus' Xonar range.

Also, I would totally add an SSD as the boot drive. If that pushes the budget, drop the i7 to an i5 to accommodate.

pctek
12-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my 5-year old home workhorse with a new machine, and after an informal Q&A of my friends was recommended PB Tech as a great place to source a new PC from.

Obviously they haven't had a lot to do with them then:

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/297771-Experiences-with-Online-Retailers

Check the ratings. I have had a bit to do with them, myself years ago, and numerous clients/friends etc since.

They don't seem to change. The buy can be an issue, but mostly it's the appalling after sales service.

Stick to the reputable shops.

bruno_liddle
12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback
Dugimodo - good to know about the power ratings - I'll try Googling that tonight and see how it comes out
Inphinity - yes the Audigy is an old card now - hadn't throught about the lack of PCI till now. Mostly was thinking of keeping it as I find the 'What U Hear' recording option useful. X-Fi Titanium HD looks to have this as well so all good there. SSD would be amazing but haven't purchased one before - any brand you would recommend?
Pctek - thanks for the heads up - I'll check out that link when I get home (work uses IE8 and that site won't even let IE8 attempt to view the page - rude ;-) )

CliveM
12-06-2014, 08:10 PM
FWIW I have dealt with PB Tech for the last 6 years and am happy with them. The only problem I had was with UPS software which would not install, they went out of their way to replace it and keep me happy.

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Some sites say the Samsung Evo is a pretty fast SSD. It's what I may get, when I put my system together soon.

You just have to decide on the size, and how much you want to spend. In some shops here these are around $129. Altho, other shops (or overseas) maybe cheaper

And from what I've read the lower ssd's (like the 128 /120 GB hdd's) may or will probably have a slow writing speed

inphinity
12-06-2014, 08:40 PM
For an SSD, I would go Samsung or Intel.

bruno_liddle
12-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks again Speedy & Inphinity - I'll take that into account.
pctek - had a look at that site(plus many others) and poor old PBTech does seem to be full of either extremely positive or extremely negative reviews. I'm liking Computer Lounge and it's ability to customize each build from a pre-set list of compatible options. Will give them a better look tomorrow.

Agent_24
13-06-2014, 12:41 AM
That PSU is a bit lame. Suggest http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=684671 instead, better quality.

bruno_liddle
17-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Huge thank you to everyone for your help.

For interest, my final order has ended up going through Computer Lounge for a modified 'Gen-X Lite - Origin (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=4)' system as below.

Following changes made from baseline:

Doubled RAM to 8GB
Changed SSD to Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB
Added 2TB Secondary HDD
Upgraded to 650W power supply
Changed to ASUS GEFORCE GTX750 TI OC 2GB GDDR5
Win 8.1 Pro full install (<- no more 'install Win 7 (keeping Win XP disc handy to qualify for upgrade edition), then upgrade to Win 8, then upgrade to Win 8.1 before installing Win 8.1 update')

And a slightly nicer case.

Over all a slightly different beast from where I was first looking but should be ample for needs for the next few years. Plus the cost was within $100 of the original budget.

No soundcard yet - will give built in audio a go before committing (read - need some money left over for extramural study costs).

Thanks again everyone!

pctek
18-06-2014, 05:24 AM
For interest, my final order has ended up going through Computer Lounge for a modified 'Gen-X Lite - Origin (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=4)' system as below.

Following changes made from baseline:

Doubled RAM to 8GB
Changed SSD to Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB
Added 2TB Secondary HDD
Upgraded to 650W power supply
Changed to ASUS GEFORCE GTX750 TI OC 2GB GDDR5

And a slightly nicer case.

No soundcard yet - will give built in audio a go before committing (read - need some money left over for extramural study costs).
!

Spiffy.

And you don't need a soundcard, onboard have been great for ages now....

EFFIGY
18-06-2014, 08:23 PM
PB Tech (Henderson) did not treat me like a silly old nana who should just leave tech to the boy racers. They gave me sound advice, and didn't try to sell me things I didn't need, I recommend them.
The Samsung Evo they sold me is a winner, I was dubious because it sounded so small. But they were right.
Once - I would push the power button, then head to the kitchen, boil the kettle and return with my morning coffee in time to meet the welcome screen. Now its instant! But I only store key applications on it, the rest still run off the old Barracuda, or the external HD's. The whole system is very instant - which is what I wanted.

Edit:
OK I came in a bit late there. In addition, PB Tech were only to happy to help with the $4.50 bits Computer Lounge forgot to sell me.