PDA

View Full Version : New W8 Q6

Poppa John
09-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi all.

I want to take all my XP outlook Express folders & move them to Outlook 7. Intact so that I can read them easily. Can I do this? Thanks. PJ

09-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi all.

I want to take all my XP outlook Express folders & move them to Outlook 7. Intact so that I can read them easily. Can I do this? Thanks. PJ

There is no Outlook Express in Win8
Best solution, Install Outlook in the old XP PC, it should ask if you want to import the old email. Do that. Then export to a pst
Copy that pst to the Win8 PC (rename in old.pst ) . In Outlook, open the old.pst & you can read your old emails

Not so best : do the same but use WinLive mail . Its free but will make a mess. :p

or: someone may suggest a program that can just open the OutlookExp files for reading
You may want all your old contacts (Address book) as well.

Poppa John
10-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Hi All

I have got what I want off this XP comp & deleted all personal stuff that I can Find.

Now I want to Format the drive to remove everything.

I have tried the inbuilt "Format" but it wont allow me to do this. What can I do Please? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2014, 08:13 PM
You'll have to remove the hdd and put it in a working computer. You cant format from within windows

CliveM
10-06-2014, 08:16 PM
You cannot format the drive that your OS is currently using. The easy way is to remove the drive from you XP machine amd connect it to your new PC and then format it there.

Poppa John
10-06-2014, 08:21 PM
You'll have to remove the hdd and put it in a working computer. You cant format from within windows

OK thanks will look into that. PJ

Poppa John
11-06-2014, 05:54 PM
:
OK thanks will look into that. PJ

Ok done that. Obvious really...not possible to do heart surgery on ones own body:mad:

I stuffed up tho. I did not remove the password before formatting. Now at startup it asks for the p/w. Putting it in says "No NTRL" & wont continue.

Put in the XP disc ro reinstall XP & cannot get past p/w. What can I do Please. PJ

wainuitech
11-06-2014, 06:05 PM
:

Ok done that. Obvious really...not possible to do heart surgery on ones own body:mad:

I stuffed up tho. I did not remove the password before formatting. Now at startup it asks for the p/w. Putting it in says "No NTRL" & wont continue.

Put in the XP disc ro reinstall XP & cannot get past p/w. What can I do Please. PJ Looks like you have not formatted the drive. :)

if you did it will have come up with a message along the lines of unbootable disk ( or similar) Not booting from XP CD.

REMEMEBR formatting a HDD REMOVES EVERYTHING - zippo - gone.

One easy way is to have the drive in the original PC. On another working PC, download free partitioning software http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html Install it, make a bootable CD from its options on the left.

Boot the PC you want to format from the CD, once booted either right click the drive - Format -- Or to completely remove it - Delete partition. Doing this will completely remove everything.

BTW-- you can format the Drive as well if its still slaved to a PC by using the software, BUT make sure you get the right drive, I dont think it will allow you to format a working drive -- Not silly enough to try - hence using a CD on the actual PC you want to format. ;)

13-06-2014, 11:00 AM
If you had data & files on that old drive, AND want to be sure no one can get at your old stuff,,
remember formating can (sometimes) be reversed , deleted data can sometimes be recovered

You want a secure wipe, or fill the drive up with any old thing (ie copy heaps of random files to it)