PDA

View Full Version : My Windows 8.1 Pro has slowed down everything is taking ages?

micky
07-06-2014, 04:07 PM
My Windows 8.1 Pro has slowed down everything is taking ages to load I've run CC cleaned etc and malware bytes no issues how do I check to see if its been infested It won't let me update 8.1 tried downloading the 64bit updates still nothing happens when I try to install
Windows 8.1 Pro Was originally Windows 8.0
Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.80GHz
Installed memory 8.0 GB
64 bit

wainuitech
07-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Could be auto downloading updates.

Try pressing ctrl+ Alt+ Del - Open Task manager - If the full details/Tabs are not showing click bottom left - More Details.

Two items to look at - Performance Tab, look to see whats being used ( anything High & consistent) also on the Process Tab, look to see what is using CPU/Memory in high percentage.

Just a thought -- How much is used on the HDD. And What Antivirus do you have.

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2014, 04:30 PM
And when you check for updates what does it do?? Nothing?? If it shows an error, what does that say?

And does everything still work?/ Task manager, regedit, the firewall?

micky
07-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Hi Guys seems like it was windows update I now have the new start page same as win7 so I deleted classic shell will keep you posted.

wainuitech
07-06-2014, 05:32 PM
That'll do it :) The update/Upgrade does take a while and it does slow everything down.

Suggestion. Right click on the start Button ( or go to the start Screen and type in Control Panel) - Click on Control Panel - Locate "Windows Update" open it, if nothing is showing click ( top Left) check for updates -- Manually check for further updates.

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2014, 05:33 PM
You uninstalled it?? Dont think that'll be the main cause of the slowness. Was it 4.10?? The latest version?

lakewoodlady
07-06-2014, 11:24 PM
The update to Windows 8.1 (.1) will cause the OS to boot straight into the Desktop view, instead of the Metro UI. That is normal. Good that you uninstalled CLassic Shell, it is no longer needed.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2014, 11:36 PM
That depends if you want a menu which the 8.1 update doesnt do. People thought MS were going to bring an update out this year. So you get a menu. But that wont happen till next year. So, I've read

wainuitech
07-06-2014, 11:44 PM
In one sense, the right click menu on the current start button is better than the previous. Most of the main areas are listed with one click compared to 3-4. But then some people don't know they even have a right click option on their mouse ;)

micky
09-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't know if this a coincidence but I have lost my hdmi speakers aoc monitor I was using OK then I plugged external speakers via 3.5 and now I can't retrieve sound from hdmi doesn't even show in sound only speakers & headphones both 3.5

micky
09-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Solved = If the HDMI is not listed in the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound Panel playback section. RIGHT click in a blank area in that panel and select show disabled and disconnected devices. If it then displays the HDMI you can then select it as default playback device and you should get HDMI audio. But, if it still does not display that USUALLY indicates a problem with the Video drivers.