PDA

View Full Version : UFB Internet providers in Wellington

kingdragonfly
04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
I've been on the fibre-optic network, UFB, for more than a year.

I'm having problems with my Orcon equipment again, the "Genius light". It gets sluggish, flaky, and eventually even the web interface stops till I repower it.

I had actually contemplated using a timer to power it down and up nightly.

Apparently there's no new firmware: GeniusLite1423 Build Time: 2012.10.28-18:07:16

I've turned off it's wireless and Voip abilities, to try to get it more reliable.

The last time I had problems, I was down for a month.

Frankly I'm tired of giving Orcon second chances; I hate Orcon's equipment only a little less than their Philippine based "English isn't my first language" helpdesk.

What are my alternatives? Could I replace the the modem? I found this list of UFB providers:

http://ufb.org.nz/broadband-providers/

gary67
04-06-2014, 09:37 PM
We use snap in Christchurch because they are based here. Service so far (6 months) has been excellent

linw
04-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I have to say my Genius Lite V1423 is really reliable on my Orcon UFB connection. Won't they swap a new one in? What you are getting is certainly not acceptable.

Have you tried to get a resolution on the Orcon geekzone forum? This is by far your best bet. The guys there really get things done.

johnd
04-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Click onto your location on the map on this site and you will see who can provide UFB in your area:
http://www.chorus.co.nz/getting-ufb

We use Snap too and are finding the service very good.

Nomad
04-06-2014, 11:30 PM
In Wellington with Snap good Internet but their telephone service have long queues ... compared to a year ago when I joined.

Actrix of course IMO are better with phone queues and quality of internet but they cost more, they cater to not so large users ...

AFAIK Snap might be more than Telecom :confused: Snap has unlimited now just announced.

kingdragonfly
05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Cheers for Snap recommendations.

It seems to be $10 a month more expensive, across the board. Better customer service is probably worth it.

From Snap

Can I use my existing modem or router for UFB with snap?

Many DSL modems & routers will not be compatible with UFB fibre services.

Snap are continuing to investigate other CPE equipment but currently Snap UFB services are only available with fully tested & accredited devices
Fritz!Box 7340
Fritz!Box 7360
Fritz!Box 7390".

gary67
05-06-2014, 07:35 AM
In Wellington with Snap good Internet but their telephone service have long queues ... compared to a year ago when I joined.

Actrix of course IMO are better with phone queues and quality of internet but they cost more, they cater to not so large users ...

AFAIK Snap might be more than Telecom :confused: Snap has unlimited now just announced.

How can you even compare Snaps good service with Telecoms crap service

We have Snaps own Fritzbox 7360 works brilliantly so far and has a built in USB print server as well

kingdragonfly
07-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Just a quick update.

I'm about to go seriously over my limit, since I switched to streaming TV.

I'm switching to the unlimited plan, however Orcon will only switch on a billing cycle: it's 3 weeks away.

You'd think since I'm still under my monthly limit, and I'm upgrading my service, they would show some flexibility and start my upgraded services immediately.

There's no technology change, just book-keeping.

I've called twice and asked to have my service upgraded to unlimited now, rather than in 3 weeks, but they just don't care.

When I threatened to cancel, they said I was under contract, and I'd be charged an additional amount.

So given the first chance, I'm switching to Snap who offers the identical plan, but with better hardware. (By the way, I put a timer on my Genius / Busybox modem, to reboot it nightly, to make it more reliable)

I doubt even Telecom's service could be worse than Orcon's.

I'm making it my mission to tell everyone to avoid Orcon.

Nomad
07-06-2014, 07:32 PM
If you are under a contract they can charge you for it or that early termination fee, but as I read you 3 weeks away from your contract or is that just to the next billing cycle? How far are you away from your contract?

You could just get charged for it and just switch now to Snap.
Can you use the current router with Snap? Snap charges something like $200 for theirs unless you sign a 2 year contract.

Chilling_Silence
08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Its a common issue with the @#$& "Genius" modems... Doesn't help Orcons service / connections have been even worse than usual since their Unlimited plans.

What sort of plan are you looking at / price range?

linw
09-06-2014, 04:12 PM
He's going UNLIMITED Chill! Ooooh, that will be a calamity. Don't know where the repeated bagging of Orcon bandwidth is coming from. I think you are ignoring the big changes made over the last few months. The Truenet stats don't reflect your judgement.

OP, all ISP's have an early termination fee and many (incl Snap, according to the GZ thread on their going unlimited mid May), only change plans at the next billing cycle. The Genius probably would have been swapped by now, or your problem otherwise attended to, if you had accessed the techs directly as advised earlier.

Anyway, good luck with Snap.

DeSade
09-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Orcon will not be flexible and you will be throttled or charged for over use.
Its almost guaranteed.

Nomad
09-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Nothing I see wrong in principle.

Each party agreed and then signed up. If I went into KFC and bought a Snack Box but I am still hungry I cannot pay the difference and upgrade it to a Lunch Box.

I have never verbally asked Snap. We were on a 100GB plan, Snap allows one to add more data during the month as did TCL (now Vodafone) does. So I added $20 for 250GB additional. I didn't use 100GB of it but I didn't get a part refund. Likewise if I paid $15 for 100GB more but found out I needed more I simply had to pay another $15 (total of $30).

In all fairness. Snap's call queue IME has been 30mins. If you don't opt for a contract the router cost $200 and I think you might be liable for a connection charge too. If you sign a contract, you are obligated to meet your side of the terms.

kingdragonfly
10-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Good news is after 3 phone-calls, Orcon decided to let me upgrade immediately instead of waiting on the next billing cycle.

Again, I had not incured any overage fee beforehand, so that wasn't an issue.

Almost without exception, my experience with content / internet providers is that they usually happy to have you upgrade immediately

There's one thing that every merchant loves is impulse buying.

The exception is when the customer is trying to get out of a fee after-the-fact, such an overage.

Now if Orcon would only switch their Chinese-made "Genius" modem, BusyBox, to something more reliable.

linw
10-06-2014, 10:25 AM
That is good. But, PLEASE, go to GZ and get that damn Genius problem sorted. Mine is solid as, so it's not a necessary problem. Those guys (FireEngine, FlameBeard, Sounddude) are tremendous.

PS Wonder where you get a NON Chinese made device these days??

linw
10-06-2014, 10:26 AM
@DeSade. Where on earth do you get that from? Please supply facts or stop spreading FUD.

Chilling_Silence
12-06-2014, 08:59 PM
TrueNet is bullshit. It measures NZ only, not international. NZ bandwidth / backhaul is cheap, its their international they let go to custard. Hell even bandwidth to Aus where a lot of caches and main DCs like Googles are, is cheaper, but my family had issues where they couldn't even watch a 720p video on their DSL (syncing 12mbps), that's *bad*!!

Chilling_Silence
12-06-2014, 09:02 PM
@DeSade. Where on earth do you get that from? Please supply facts or stop spreading FUD.
It's not FUD if its a consistent experience people have. Why did my father leave Orcon? A $200 overcharge at $2 per GB.

A fan you may be, lucky you may be, but almost everybody else has **** experiences with them. If there's smoke, there's likely fire...

linw
12-06-2014, 09:56 PM
TrueNet is bullshit. It measures NZ only, not international. NZ bandwidth / backhaul is cheap, its their international they let go to custard. Hell even bandwidth to Aus where a lot of caches and main DCs like Googles are, is cheaper, but my family had issues where they couldn't even watch a 720p video on their DSL (syncing 12mbps), that's *bad*!!
When was that? Was it before the network upgrades made reasonably recently? I have already told you I had 12 YT HD videos running at once with no buffering. I don't know but that is hard to reconcile with one 720p bad experience. I am on UFB but you are talking International not local.

linw
12-06-2014, 10:25 PM
It's not FUD if its a consistent experience people have. Why did my father leave Orcon? A $200 overcharge at $2 per GB.

A fan you may be, lucky you may be, but almost everybody else has **** experiences with them. If there's smoke, there's likely fire...

Admittedly $2 overage/GB is high but presumably no one forced him to go 100GB over?

Your statement that almost everybody has a bad experience is hardly credible. And I find it hard to figure how luck has anything to do with my experience.

Just calling it as I see it as of now like on a 30/10 plan, Sydney 27.73/9.24, LA 9.16/6.78, London 23.34/6.95. I certainly can't see what is wrong with this but what do I know.

Chilling_Silence
13-06-2014, 05:12 AM
When was that? Was it before the network upgrades made reasonably recently? I have already told you I had 12 YT HD videos running at once with no buffering. I don't know but that is hard to reconcile with one 720p bad experience. I am on UFB but you are talking International not local.
Exactly, on a good ISP it shouldn't matter if it's local or international. The point is Orcon oversubscribe their international bandwidth to the point where it's almost un-usable.
This was last month / 3 weeks ago.

Admittedly $2 overage/GB is high but presumably no one forced him to go 100GB over?
Nobody *forced* anything, but they sure as hell didn't make any effort to contact him about it, and when you have a family with a few kids, blowing 100GB isn't actually that difficult, especially when the likes of Pando Media Booster keep running all day and night, from two machines. Trickling through 3GB a day is dead easy to do. They found that a couple months back, I removed Pando from both the machines...

Your statement that almost everybody has a bad experience is hardly credible. And I find it hard to figure how luck has anything to do with my experience.
Just calling it as I see it as of now like on a 30/10 plan, Sydney 27.73/9.24, LA 9.16/6.78, London 23.34/6.95. I certainly can't see what is wrong with this but what do I know.
I can only presume they've finally got their shirt sorted and realized that customers _actually_ expect better. I'm unsure if this also applies to VDSL2, or just their UFB, but their DSL is absolutely rubbish. It's not hard to do a search and see significantly more people complain about Orcon than would recommend them.

If a company is happy to let one service turn to complete custard, I wouldn't hold my breath over their other services remaining 'premium' forever.

inphinity
13-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Opinion: Orcon were crap. For a long time. But, over the past few months, they have made great strides towards being less crap. I'm still hesitant to say they're good, as all cases of connections with them I still deal with have regular (more regular than our other providers connections) performance issues, but they're far less frequent and severe than they were, say, this time last year, and are typically only noticed under heavier-use situations (like HD streaming, gaming, or torrenting, as opposed to basic web/email use).

That said, any issues, and FireEngine & friends on GZ are very very prompt at addressing them.

linw
13-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Agree about using GZ. Those guys (FireEngine etc) are really great.

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Ah yeah this is all residential stuff I'm talking about too, don't even wanna get started on the botch-ups they regularly cause on their "corporate" stuff, it's a joke. They've been kinda hard-done by coz they got bought then sold then sold again and a lot of people jumped ship.