PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a good modem (not too expensive)

Chris Randal
01-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Currently using a Telecom Thomson but it keeps dropping out.

Not sure whether it is the modem or the fact that we live 40 metres or so from the roadside box. We've had the Thomson at least four years.

Do we replace it or start yelling at Telecom?

If replace - with what at a max price of $100-150?

pcuser42
01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
DrayTek DV120 if you can find one. :thumbs:

AppleFan
01-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Currently using a Telecom Thomson but it keeps dropping out.

Not sure whether it is the modem or the fact that we live 40 metres or so from the roadside box. We've had the Thomson at least four years.

Do we replace it or start yelling at Telecom?

Hey Chris Randal - I had this same issue happened to me from yesterday so I phone telecom today , the lady kindly helped me out "it took about half an hour " to fix it , she asked me some questions like how many devices I have , how many devices are affected (wireless) , I told her the number affected , she remotely changed setting on my modem and rebooted my modem , and so far no problems , so if you want to save money , I would recommend you this , and if you want to spend , then some people over here can help you select a modem , and I also had this modem for about 4 years , so it looks like you are having same issue as me , so it is up to u once again .

Greg
02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
If you don't get a suitable reply soon from our friendly Moderator Chilling Silence, drop him a Personal Message - he knows a lot about these things.

ROB NZ
04-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Hey Chris Randal - I had this same issue happened to me from yesterday so I phone telecom today , the lady kindly helped me out "it took about half an hour " to fix it , she asked me some questions like how many devices I have , how many devices are affected (wireless) , I told her the number affected , she remotely changed setting on my modem and rebooted my modem , and so far no problems , so if you want to save money , I would recommend you this , and if you want to spend , then some people over here can help you select a modem , and I also had this modem for about 4 years , so it looks like you are having same issue as me , so it is up to u once again .

Me too!!

I upgraded to 8.1 on a new HP Laptop in January this year.

Have had a telecom provided Thomson router , and for some months now, the wireless connection has been frustratingly and intermittently unavailable.
In Feb or March I rang the Telecom helpline and the male assistant was helpful, and successful (as quoted by previous correspondent), but upon questioning him he said that he didn't know what he had done to correct the problem!

So at present, every few days, upon attempting to connect, I get "no connection available". I switch the modem off, wait 15 seconds, switch back on, wait for the green lights to stop winking etc and try again. Sometimes I switch the computer off too.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, at which point there is some impolite language. Sometimes I try again. Sometimes I give up.

I'm beyond the city boundary so am on a copper wire connection to the house.

Does anyone know the answer?

Is it Telecom.
Is it the router.
Is it the laptop?
Is it me?
Do a buy a new router.

(I've watched Press F1 for quite a few years. This is my first post.
I first started computing with an Amiga 1000. Those were the days!)

ROB NZ

Speedy Gonzales
04-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Answer

1, 2 and 5. Change the ISP, and modem

CliveM
04-06-2014, 09:20 PM
You have a few things to check. For starters you say your wireless drops out, does your connection stay up if you connect directly to the router via a short cable?

AppleFan
04-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Me too!!

I upgraded to 8.1 on a new HP Laptop in January this year.

Have had a telecom provided Thomson router , and for some months now, the wireless connection has been frustratingly and intermittently unavailable.
In Feb or March I rang the Telecom helpline and the male assistant was helpful, and successful (as quoted by previous correspondent), but upon questioning him he said that he didn't know what he had done to correct the problem!

So at present, every few days, upon attempting to connect, I get "no connection available". I switch the modem off, wait 15 seconds, switch back on, wait for the green lights to stop winking etc and try again. Sometimes I switch the computer off too.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, at which point there is some impolite language. Sometimes I try again. Sometimes I give up.

I'm beyond the city boundary so am on a copper wire connection to the house.

Does anyone know the answer?

Is it Telecom.
Is it the router.
Is it the laptop?
Is it me?
Do a buy a new router.

(I've watched Press F1 for quite a few years. This is my first post.
I first started computing with an Amiga 1000. Those were the days!)

ROB NZ

Hey im just trying to help you , please note im not an expert , i think the answer to your question is , phone telecom again and tell them the problem you are having , tell them like , how many devices are there , like desktops , laptops , wireless device like an ipad or phone , tell them if all are affected which is what i had , all my device , ipod touch , mobile phone , laptop were affected so i told them , then basically what they did was change some channels on my modem and reboot it , and so far all is going well , can't see any drop out , so it is i believe , the modem/router , i don't recommend buying a new router , first give them a call and see what they can do for you , plus you can save money , if you think or they think modem needs replacement then there are people over here who can help you out here to select once router , so thats my recommendation , it's up to you what you decide . All the best.

wainuitech
04-06-2014, 09:40 PM
You have a few things to check. For starters you say your wireless drops out, does your connection stay up if you connect directly to the router via a short cable? Adding to Clive post --- telecom Routers ( thompsons) were having a lot of problems with Windows 8 - 8.1, the fix was to change the default DNS servers to something else like Googles google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using) Theres already a couple of earlier posts in PF1 relating to this problem. :2cents:

Bryan
05-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Further to wainiutech's post, go to Google and type in the search box "Manually specify DNS servers - Telecom New Zealand Help".

dugimodo
05-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Yes there are known issues between some routers and Windows 8, the ISP should be well aware of it and have a fix by now as already pointed out. The trouble with consumer routers in general and freebie ones from ISP's in particular is they are quite cheaply made and not designed for the heavy workload some people put on them.
They should replace it for free if it's an issue but that may require you committing to a further contract for 1-2 years

I've been through quite a number of them myself in a quest for stable internet. My current setup has been very stable but it's not in your price range and I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

I bought an Asus router for about $200 in frustration 18 months ago when my previous router died just out of warranty (and was a widely recommended model) and it's been so good I wanted to keep using it when I switched to VDSL which proved to be a bit of a challenge. I put the freebie technicolor modem into bridge mode, installed beta firmware on the Asus to allow a LAN port to be used as a WAN port, and copied the settings off a forum post on geekzone. It all seems a bit bodgy but it's been rock solid despite using the technicolor and windows 8 as part of the setup

inphinity
05-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Tell Telecom you're having issues with DNS on your Windows 8.1 devices with the Thompson. Ask to have the Huawei HG630b sent out. Depending on what plan/service you're on, you may be able to get one free, or free if you re-sign for 12 months. Otherwise they'll bill $149. In the latter case, you could argue politely that the service is not reliable or usable due to the identified compatibility issue between the Thompson Technicolor device and Windows 8.1, and that the modem needs to be replaced with a suitable model in order for the service to be used. Telecom (and the many other major ISPs both locally and around the world who used to use them) are aware of the Thompson/8.1 issues, and you should be able to get it sorted. You may need to escalate to a Supervisor if some of the level 1 script readers don't know.

Chilling_Silence
05-06-2014, 02:33 PM
can't see any drop out , so it is i believe , the modem/router , i don't recommend buying a new router

I would recommend replacing it. Those Technicolor ones cause no end of issues. They're cheap junk. It's possible to get them going, in some cases, but if they're loaded up too hard they just fall over and die.

I don't even waste my time on them these days.

DrayTek do the DV130 which is forwards-compatible with VDSL2, and you can run that in tandem with something like a TP-Link TL-WR941ND (Running Gargoyle). Rock solid setup, easy to use, fantastic features... but the rock solid side is the biggest benefit!!

ROB NZ
09-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks to all for responses.
Currently persuing Bryan's suggestion. Cheers,