PDA

View Full Version : Cant Use Bluetooth. Windows 8.1

johnnytrident
31-05-2014, 10:49 AM
One for the brains trust that is driving me nuts.

I cannot use Bluetooth on my Acer laptop model E1-570 with Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1. Google searches are telling me this is a common enough problem.

Bluetooth does not show in system tray. Looking under PC settings/PC and devices I can see no mention of Bluetooth where I would expect to find it.

In task manager under background processes I can see Bluetooth icons named BT Tray and Extension Core. Under task manager details I can see BT Tray.exe and Btv Stack.exe. These are both shown as running.

I have uninstalled the driver and have installed Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Bus 8.0.1.232. In device manager the only Bluetooth reference I can find is for this driver which shows to be running correctly. No updates for this are available. No Windows updates are available either. Windows tells me I have the best available driver.

Bluetooth has worked in the past, I can't remember whether it has worked since the upgrade to 8.1

Any thoughts please?

Greg
31-05-2014, 11:43 AM
You probably tried this, but have you checked in Blutooth Settings that Blutooth is actually on? When mine in 8.1 is turned off it disappears from the Notification Area.

johnnytrident
31-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks for interest Greg
Problem is there is nowhere to turn it off or on that I can see. I have had this working in the past and have been able to manage it from system tray.

Speedy Gonzales
31-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Look in device manager see if it's working. See if there's an updated driver for it on the Acer site

Speedy Gonzales
31-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Click on the link in the 6th post by Acer-Blayn. I would say that'll fix your prob (http://community.acer.com/t5/Ultra-Thin/Aspire-E1-570-Bluetooth-connection-woes/td-p/203333)

Uninstall the driver thats installed now then install this driver. The link shows 64 bit I think. So I dont know if it includes 32 bit drivers, if you're using 32 bit

johnnytrident
31-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks Speedy
I should have mentioned that nothing shows in device manager but for the driver under System Devices (Qualcomm Altheros Bluetooth Bus)
I have been to Acer website and used my serial number to sort (supposedly) which is correct driver for my laptop. It pointed me to download a file, but at the last minute aborted the installation informing me I already had a later version installed. Funnily enough the version I already have is the same as Acer Blayn (6th post) was prompting me to download. However I uninstalled the one I already had, and downloaded and installed the one being suggested by him i.e. I reinstalled it. No joy as yet, so I also downloaded and installed the latest 8.1 WLAN driver for my system as per his recommendation.
Regret to say I am no further ahead at this stage. I'm not keen to reload Win8 as suggested. This laptop is still under warranty. Further advice welcomed
Cheers
John

wainuitech
31-05-2014, 11:53 PM
This laptop is still under warranty. Further advice welcomed Warranties dont cover software, only hardware.

If it was working OK prior to installing 8.1 its not a hardware problem. This type of thing happens quite a lot, Laptops work fine on W7 or W8 but then appear to break on 8.1, thats because the manufactures ( whom ever they may be ) have not made compatible drivers for W8.1

johnnytrident
01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
LOL I realise that now. Actually I don't like Win 8 or 8.1 anyway in comparison to Win 7 and given this sort of issue I like it even less. I can't go back far enough with System Restore to reload Win 8 and try and prove the upgrade is actually the problem, although I think it did stop working around the time of the upgrade to 8.1
Guess I'll go buy a Bluetooth dongle, hopefully an update along the way will sort the problem for me.
Thanks to all who contributed.

wainuitech
01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I have uninstalled the driver and have installed Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth From your first post.

Just looked up the actual W8.1 drivers, it appears theres a Broadcom Driver as well. If you have been trying the wrong driver that can be one reason it wont work.

The download Pages may take you directly to the links, other wise work through: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

johnnytrident
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Yes I saw the Broadcom driver and tried it earlier. It is for specific remote devices such as keyboard or mouse and when it does not find one the installation prompts you to abort. I have also looked through Acer site and tried recommended drivers. I'm not alone apparently. Poor show really, oh well I now have a small dongle for meantime. Presumably an update is coming.

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Never heard of an install trying to pick up a wireless mouse or kb. Whats the model / brand of this kb and mouse??

wainuitech
01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Have you tried running windows updates manually ( go into the control panel - Windows update) ? Sometimes Windows will detect and offer drivers that are not available even from the manufacture, they are generally under Optional updates.

My wireless KB/Mouse stopped working the other day, windows update found some updated drivers and its away laughing again :banana

johnnytrident
01-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Sure have. On this laptop, it's the only way I do it. I quite often use my phone's modem to connect the laptop to the internet and I don't run the risk of Antivirus and Windows updates using up all my phones allowable data. I wait till I next time I connect via wifi and then do manual updates. Good thought though.

johnnytrident
01-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Whoops I have edited this reply. I replied to the wrong posting. Please disregard.

johnnytrident
02-06-2014, 12:04 AM
I have neither. The install goes looking for them or one of them and prompts to abort when it finds nothing. A bit weird really.