PDA

View Full Version : Optical drive missing!

bk T
30-05-2014, 10:02 PM
I've 2 optical drives in this Win8.1 PC. They all showed up correctly until I clicked 'eject' when I right-clicked one of the drives. Now, the ejected drive is totally missing - it doesn't read any disk I inserted in.

How do I get it back?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Are both physical dvd's?? Not ISO's?? You didn't install something like daemontools did you?? This can stuff things up. Look in device manager. Do both of them appear here?

I would also check the cables in the case, if this is a desktop

bk T
30-05-2014, 10:37 PM
They are both physical drives.

Anyway, I unplugged it and changed to another port on the MB, restarted and it shows up again.

But, I just don't understand why?

wainuitech
30-05-2014, 10:55 PM
By rebooting should have brought it back, by ejecting you disconnected it, no need to change ports.

If I right click the USB /eject hardware Icon you can disconnect either of the two HDD's.

Now you see it ( both Drives + Optical )

Eject Drive V :

Now Its gone, till I reboot:

bk T
30-05-2014, 11:40 PM
I did reboot 2 times but still couldn't get it back, until I changed it to another port!

wainuitech
30-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Must have clicked on something else, If you normally right click the drive from within Computer / Eject, it only opens the drive tray.

There used to be a prank you can do that will cause that to happen - made people go WTF when their Optical drive opens by its self :devil

Doesn't matter, if its working again.

Agent_24
31-05-2014, 01:15 PM
You must have used the safely disconnect tray icon, in which case it would have 'safely disconnected' the drive rather than eject the tray... the drive might have gone into power down mode that a soft-reboot didn't fix.