PDA

View Full Version : Bad Sectors. Cant access harddrive

Ninjabear
30-05-2014, 06:37 PM
My 3.5" harddrive is no longer accessible but one of the partition appears in windows explorer . When I click the the laptop tries to access it but at the end it says that there are too many bad sectors.

The 2nd partition can't be accessed but it shows up using a partition magic software. It says unallocated but when I try to allocate a drive letter it doesn't work.

Anyone know how to get around the problem?

Thanks

wainuitech
30-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Depends what you want to do with it. Its only good as a paper weight or in the rubbish bin now.

If you want to try and get the data off, you may be able to read/recover some but anything in the bad sectors think of as GONE. You'll need some sort of recovery program, if the drive has bad sectors, expect it to take hours (if not days) to scan and recover.

http://7datarecovery.com/ isn't to bad, but the free version will only allow you to recover 1GB. MANY data recovery programs come stuck when hitting bad sectors, so sometimes its trial and error.

Digby
30-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Morale of the story is always do backups to an separate hard drive - preferably one not in an enclosure and store it off site.

Agent_24
31-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I'd image it with gddrescue in Linux and go from there