PDA

View Full Version : Dual band router - which bandwidth?

tingle
30-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I have just replaced my router with a Linksys X3500 N750 Dual-Band Wireless Router.

Not being too clued up about them, I called the help line and they helped with all the settings.
Now when I try to connect I get 2 choices - 5GHz or 2.4GHz. Linksys says I should pick 2.4GHz which works just fine.
I'm curious as to why there are 2 choices and which I should select and the reasoning behind it.

Many thanks in advance for all your sterling wisdom!

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2014, 08:30 PM
What does the wireless that you're trying to connect to it support?? 2.4, 5, or both? 5Ghz is probably there since I dont think anything in a house is 5Ghz. So you wont have probs with anything else (like you can, if it's 2.4 Ghz)

It's like the wireless phones I have here, they're 1.8 Ghz not 2.4 or 5. That way, (hopefully) I dont have any probs (between these phones), and the wireless adapters on these computers

dugimodo
30-05-2014, 09:03 PM
My S3 does 5 or 2.4, nothing else I have does though except my router which is also dual band. It just lets you have options, for example if 3 people are using wi-fi on 2.4 they all share bandwidth and it slows down, but if one switches to 5 then they all potentially go faster because there is less sharing. In a good broadband setup the Wi-Fi can be the slowest part but often times the broadband is so for shared internet access it doesn't really matter but for other network activities it can.

Stick with 2.4 for the most part, it tends to have slightly better range - at least for me. If you have a lot of devices and have the option spread them over both.

tingle
30-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. That makes things a lot clearer.

inphinity
30-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Most dual-band APs/routers will allow both 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs concurrently. 5GHz has far higher throughput capability, but also shorter effective range in most environments, and only newer devices support 5GHz, so older devices can't connect to it.