PDA

View Full Version : Which Phone Should i get ???

AppleFan
30-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey , i have a question for which phone should i get , i have got a couple of phones which looks to be good , though i need a bit of advise first . So the first one is Sony Xperia Z2 , SamSung S5 , and LG G3. And also to let you you know I will be watching videos , listening to music , , reading and so i need a good screen size and pixel density which i have seen LG G3 has like 534 ppi pixel density , thats well over S5 which has about 432 ppi pixel density . Lastly my budget is to spend less than 1000 dollars , so im planning to get a phone at end of this year , so likely the price will go down then .

So main question is which phone should i get out of these three , if there is any other phone which you can recommend to let me have a look , please write in comment , thanks .

plod
30-05-2014, 12:57 PM
None. Wait for the next nexus if you are waiting till end of year

Zippity
30-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Nexus 5 - period! :)

inphinity
30-05-2014, 04:34 PM
If you're waiting till the end of the year, there will be more options by then. If you're buying now, Galaxy S5 or HTC M8 would be my picks. I dislike the size of the LG G3, perhaps I'd get used to it, but it doesn't fit in various pockets etc lol.

dugimodo
30-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I read somewhere that we can't see anything above 350 PPI with the unaided eye, it does maybe help with colour accuracy above that though.
Anyway it's really a matter of preference, all mentioned are great phones and you will likely be happy with any of them. Another one I hear good things about is the HTC one M8.

Think about what features are most important to you or that you think you will use the most and see which one is best at that. For example some are known for their great cameras, others have better sound, etc.

Next time I buy a phone it's likely to be a Nexus or a galaxy note for the giant screen and the stylus. Currently I have an S3 and have no complaints or pressing desire to upgrade because it's still a great phone that does everything I need.

paulw
30-05-2014, 04:40 PM

I believe that there is no Nexus 6. The N5 is good bang for your buck at present..

nmercer
30-05-2014, 06:48 PM
6" Nokia Lumia 1520 around $600 from the parallel importers

icow
30-05-2014, 08:22 PM
This when it comes out (http://oneplus.net/one)

AppleFan
31-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Hey as far as i know , there won't be any nexus seen anymore , the last nexus is only the one which we can get , so for some reason , we will not see it .
Thats what i know.

AppleFan
31-05-2014, 02:17 PM
That seeing over 350 PPI would be what i guess Apple said when they put out the iphone , and thanks for that advise

AppleFan
31-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Sorry not keen on NOKIA LUMIA , i prefer android os .

AppleFan
31-05-2014, 02:22 PM
thanks all for your advise , still looking for more advise from people , thanks once again .

gary67
31-05-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm very happy with my S3 mini and my wife is with her one too

Webdevguy
01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
thanks all for your advise , still looking for more advise from people , thanks once again .

Are you are over whelmed by all the options?

For under $1000 Any of the top Samsung phones will cater for what you want to do, as will the iPhone 5/iPhone 5S

So what is it that you are waiting for? (Aside from procrastination)

icow
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
If you get a Samsung phone I would suggest changing the rom,actually that goes for most big brand smartphones. They tend to come with far too much unnecessary bloatware, which is why the nexus devices often offer better user experiences than supposedly technically superior phones.

AppleFan
01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
If you get a Samsung phone I would suggest changing the rom,actually that goes for most big brand smartphones. They tend to come with far too much unnecessary bloatware, which is why the nexus devices often offer better user experiences than supposedly technically superior phones.

Yeah I do agree with you , big brand smartphone come with bloatware .

paulw
02-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Yeah I do agree with you , big brand smartphone come with bloatware .

Yeah but who wants to spend a grand plus, just to void their warranty these days??. If you don't want bloat buy a Nexus or a Motorola.. They cost way less that the HTC, Samsung or LG flag ships..

dugimodo
02-06-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't think they feel bloated at all, sure if you prefer stock android you have options but there's nothing wrong with using a brand name phone with the stock rom.
My S3 is fast, smooth, and has all the features I want. Why would I muck around changing the rom and risk screwing it up when it's working perfectly as is.

potz
02-06-2014, 10:37 AM
wait for iPhone 6 to come out.

bk T
02-06-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't recommend an iPhone although I own one (given to me). Not worth the sort of price, not at all.

potz
02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Yeah but apple is quality

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Maybe quality. But unless youre dot com, or a bank who can afford one

Greg
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah but apple is qualityThat's fan-speak. Apple's originality passed away when Mr Jobs died, and the so-called quality only ever existed in the marketing spiel. Fan boys choose to ignore that the more advanced and better regarded manufacturers are using components and software which, time will tell, are superior to old Fat Apple.

plod
02-06-2014, 06:25 PM
That's fan-speak. Apple's originality passed away when Mr Jobs died, and the so-called quality only ever existed in the marketing spiel. Fan boys choose to ignore that the more advanced and better regarded manufacturers are using components and software which, time will tell, are superior to old Fat Apple.

As an owner of a Samsung S4 I can tell you their software is crap, build quality crap, glitches galore. I would also say a iPhone probably has more Samsung components in it then the S4

Greg
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
As an owner of a Samsung S4 I can tell you their software is crap, build quality crap, glitches galore. I would also say a iPhone probably has more Samsung components in it then the S4Sadly mate, I can't deny it, having neither, and given that I rely on our forums' members a lot to give me advice on my next purchase. :(

wainuitech
02-06-2014, 07:31 PM
:D http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology (http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/60085239/retro-tech-takes-kiwis-back-to-the-future) :D

Several problems with all modern phones, drop them, they break = Expensive to repair, lose them = expensive to replace. To many options on many phones that 95% of people never use. To many people carry their life around in their pockets.

gary67
02-06-2014, 07:39 PM
My s3 mini cost just $300 & works perfectly no bloat no glitches. My budget is always $300 or under

plod
02-06-2014, 07:56 PM
:D http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology (http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/60085239/retro-tech-takes-kiwis-back-to-the-future) :D

Several problems with all modern phones, drop them, they break = Expensive to repair, lose them = expensive to replace. To many options on many phones that 95% of people never use. To many people carry their life around in their pockets.
I can't argue with that. I have tried talking my skate boarding mad son to go old school for a phone. Unfortunately teens don't seem to communicate with texts anymore, it's all messages based for them.

Alex B
02-06-2014, 08:21 PM
My s3 mini cost just $300 & works perfectly no bloat no glitches. My budget is always $300 or under

An S3 Mini is also not getting anymore software upgrades. Avoid. Better off with a Motorola G for that money.

Webdevguy
03-06-2014, 12:19 AM
As an owner of a Samsung S4 I can tell you their software is crap, build quality crap, glitches galore. I would also say a iPhone probably has more Samsung components in it then the S4

At this stage that is probably quite true considering that Samsung is one of the few companies that can meet Apple's global demand for selected component manufacture for the various models of iPhone.

Webdevguy
03-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Maybe quality. But unless youre dot com, or a bank who can afford one

Or have a budget of $1000 as the original OP mentioned. iPhone 4S unlocked from $649, iPhone 5C from $849

icow
03-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Should even be able to get the 5s for $1000.

plod
03-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Maybe quality. But unless youre dot com, or a bank who can afford oneNo disrespect speedy. But it truely is amazing what you can afford to buy when you have a job. Even without being kim.com .

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
There's little point going over this if nothings gonna happen until the end of the year. Things change, a lot.

As for now, the Moto G is a *fantastic* low-end option, sub-$300

The Nexus 5 or Moto X are brilliant mid-high end options for $550

The Note 3 has an top-quality camera, it's a high performer for $700, but unfortunately it comes with the usual Samsung duplication of almost all Apps ( http://www.androidguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/copy_samsung-600x380.jpg )