PDA

View Full Version : ADSL routers with Data bandwidth control

CCF
29-05-2014, 05:30 AM
Hi all

Any one know any routers or methods, preferably with an integrated modem, that can allocate data bandwidth to individual IPs/Macs?

I see a lot of routers these days have bandwidth control based on speed, none so far have data allocation.

As my house will be opened to new flat mates I would like to allocate x-GB to each mac address, and shall the GB is exceeded, reduce speed. So basically something like what ISP would do.

Been checking out custom router firmwires, but cant seem to confirm or find info on data allocation. The closet thing I could find are data usage monitoring.

Any suggestions, apart from building a spare box? Have a feeling it may need to go down that track... =s

Cheers

psycik
29-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi all

Any one know any routers or methods, preferably with an integrated modem, that can allocate data bandwidth to individual IPs/Macs?

I see a lot of routers these days have bandwidth control based on speed, none so far have data allocation.

As my house will be opened to new flat mates I would like to allocate x-GB to each mac address, and shall the GB is exceeded, reduce speed. So basically something like what ISP would do.

Been checking out custom router firmwires, but cant seem to confirm or find info on data allocation. The closet thing I could find are data usage monitoring.

Any suggestions, apart from building a spare box? Have a feeling it may need to go down that track... =s

Cheers

One of the best is gargoyle. It's an after market one - but runs on a quite a few devices. I have a TP Link WR0143ND router (and a separate adsl modem). It does quotas per machine, or if a machine is not defined to a pool of machines. It also has Quality of service for machines or services.

Well worth looking at.

CCF
29-05-2014, 10:34 AM
One of the best is gargoyle. It's an after market one - but runs on a quite a few devices. I have a TP Link WR0143ND router (and a separate adsl modem). It does quotas per machine, or if a machine is not defined to a pool of machines. It also has Quality of service for machines or services.

Well worth looking at.

Thanks psycik, looks exactly like what I was looking for.

Cheers!

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2014, 07:52 PM
It's gotta be independent from the router though. Pick up something like a DrayTek DV130 and you'll future-proof yourself for VDSL2, and they're cheap but super solid.

Then throw Gargoyle on said el-cheapo TP-Link (I've done a few quick write-ups on my blog) and you're away laughing!

CCF
30-05-2014, 05:48 PM
It's gotta be independent from the router though. Pick up something like a DrayTek DV130 and you'll future-proof yourself for VDSL2, and they're cheap but super solid.

Then throw Gargoyle on said el-cheapo TP-Link (I've done a few quick write-ups on my blog) and you're away laughing!

Thanks Chilling, have already picked up a TL-WR841ND v8.2 and flashed with Gargoyle WR841N-v8 factory firmware. Have also came across your blog while searching up for some instruction confirmats, haha. Thanks mate!

Gargoyle installed fine, however it doesnt seem to be operating correctly. Able to log in and navigate around, but no summary is shown in the main page, cant see to save changes within [Connections > Basics]. You wouldnt know if Gargoyle requires a live net connection before it can fully operate, would ya? Or can I flash down a version? Thinking of using WR841ND-v7 firmware...

But yeah, so far good.

CCF
31-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Just for those future readers, in regards to Gargoyle not displaying any info or saving changes. Was advised by Gargoyle mods to reset the configuration. What-do-you-know, works like a charm after a reset and a reboot.

Cant believe I didnt come across Gargoyle earlier!

Thanks guys!

Chilling_Silence
01-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Yeah it's fantastic!!

There's two versions of it, make sure you use the -factory version on first flash, which wipes all your config. There's another version that you can subsequently use for upgrading, which keeps the config between versions :)