PDA

View Full Version : Comments on this motherboard / combination please

Digby
28-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I want to build a new computer for myself. I have built many now.

And I want your comments on the following mother board and cpu combination.

it is for home use, not gaming.
Just for word processing and watching movies and transferring files to hard drives.

I want to stay with AMD for personal reasons.

With AMD there seems to be 2 socket types. FM2 and AMD3+

They say that the AMD 3+ does not use so much CPU power for data transfer, so this may be the way for me.

Maybe a Gigabyte GA 970A D3P.

It supports DDR3 2,000 Ram and has 6 Sata plugs rated at up to 6gbps (good for me)

And its UB3.00 ports are also rated at up to 5 gps.

CPU

The AMD FX6300 AM3+

I don't want to buy the cheapest, and I don't want to buy the dearest, but I want a system with good speed.

What do you think ?

Are they compatible

Would you recommend something else and why ?

Thanks

EFFIGY
28-05-2014, 10:41 PM
If I weren't a slave to image processing I would opt for AMD.
My old AMD Dual core Athlon, saw me through 4 years of Visual Arts lvl 7 qualification and only failed when I had to move from Adobe CS5 to Adobe Creative Cloud and no longer had access to Uni supplied Macs.
In my humble opinion AMD runs cooler and lasts longer.

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2014, 09:24 AM
FM2 is more recent that AM3 isnt it? The AM3 you've posted looks like it should be fine. According to the gigabyte site, you need BIOS F3. Which should be on the mobo already. Nothing wrong with it

Yup I'm getting parts for a new build too. Hopefully the CPU which was cheap works. Without me having to buy a separate card

I was going to buy a B85 mobo, but may get a H987 or Z97 now. Or maybe a mini-itx mobo

dugimodo
29-05-2014, 04:50 PM
What Speedy said :0

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support.aspx
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4642&dl=1#ov

If you link the motherboard so we don't have to google it you'd probably get more responses.
Anyway that combo looks fine, should work with no issues. If you are concerned the best place to ask is the supplier you are using.

I have no issue with AMD they make good hardware and it's a perfectly valid choice, but it does not run cooler, or quieter, or use less power, than current gen intel equivalents. In fact it runs hotter and uses more power. the stock coolers may be quieter in some case but I can't hear my intel one so I don't think it's really an issue either way. Intel have supplied some noisy coolers at times in the past. None of which is a problem, it'll work fine.