PDA

View Full Version : How to replace old Win XP with a new operating system on my laptop?

barryk
27-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Hello PressF1 folks,

Been a while since I was last on this forum.

Is it possible to throw out the old Win XP operating system on my laptop and replace it with a different operating system such as Linux or WIN7?

I tried to set up a new version of Win XP from my system CD-ROM but the screen message said it wasn't recommended to put multiple operating systems in the same partition (i.e. the partition is on the C: hard drive).

I'd like to get right the job of replacing the old Win XP system with a new Linux or other system. How do I do this? Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Barry.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2014, 09:14 PM
You put the cd in / reboot / change the bootdisk to the cd in the BIOS / save settings. Then boot from it. When it says to press a key, press a key.

Then format whatever in the setup screen / reinstall whatever

pcuser42
27-05-2014, 09:16 PM
What are the specs of the laptop?

wainuitech
27-05-2014, 09:25 PM
This is the basic's:

1st back up any data you have, this includes, but not limited to ( make a list) to an external drive.

Documents, pictures,Favorites/bookmarks, Videos emails, address book, + anything else you dont want to lose. If you have programs such as MS office or any other software that has licence keys, make sure you have the keys for when you reinstall, if you dont then use software that will locate them for you ( theres several).

Look for the model of the laptop on the manufactures site, make sure there are drivers for it and the OS you are wanting to use, you may need to download them first. This also pays to have access to another computer to download them from the internet/manufactures, as not all OS's will install the Ethernet drivers.

Once you have collected everything, put in the CD/DVD of the OS you want to install, boot from it. They all have the option to wipe partitions ( or use a third party partitioning software to remove the current partitions first) - then follow any instructions the OS asks for.

Before you do anything -- check the system spec's of the laptop against what you want to install, it may need some upgrading first ( generally more memory).

Once the OS is installed, you add in any drivers not already installed, put all the data and your programs you want back.

barryk
27-05-2014, 09:29 PM
You put the cd in / reboot / change the bootdisk to the cd in the BIOS / save settings. Then boot from it. When it says to press a key, press a key.

Then format whatever in the setup screen / reinstall whatever

I did instruct the bios to boot from the cd. Then the screen gave two or three options. Option 1 was to set up a new operating system. Option 2 was to replace a damaged XP system. I have tried both options. With Option 1 I got as far as the screen message which did not recommend putting multiple operating systems into the same partition. With option 2 (the Replace option), the computer ended up the same as before - XP with three user accounts. What I was after was a new XP system that allowed me to set up new administrator and guest accounts.

Do I install WIN XP again in the same partition as the existing XP system or get hold of a different operating system like Linux? Wondering if I should format the entire HDD and then boot from the cd and then install XP again from that point?

barryk
27-05-2014, 09:35 PM
What are the specs of the laptop?

Sorry, what exact specs do you mean?

I've checked System Properties and it shows Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP 2, processor 1.60Ghz, 589 Mhz 496MB of RAM. Intel Pentium M (I think M stands for Mobile).

pcuser42
27-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Sorry, what exact specs do you mean?

I've checked System Properties and it shows Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP 2, processor 1.60Ghz, 589 Mhz 496MB of RAM. Intel Pentium M (I think M stands for Mobile).

Those specs :)

496MB isn't enough RAM for Windows 7, but the CPU is fast enough. RAM is cheap, if you can get some more then do so :)

barryk
27-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Those specs :)

496MB isn't enough RAM for Windows 7, but the CPU is fast enough. RAM is cheap, if you can get some more then do so :)

Thanks pcuser42.

So far, two or three possible options are emerging:
1) Try formatting the HDD to create a new partition then set up Win XP again or Linux or another system in it.
2) Get hold of and install more RAM then set up WIN7 and hopefully get rid of the existing XP system.

wainuitech
28-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks pcuser42.

So far, two or three possible options are emerging:
1) Try formatting the HDD to create a new partition then set up Win XP again or Linux or another system in it.
2) Get hold of and install more RAM then set up WIN7 and hopefully get rid of the existing XP system. The other thing you have to look at if wanting to use W7 is the minimum spec according to MS is 1GB Memory. If you have ever run W7 on 1GB you soon get annoyed, it only just works and thats without anything extra running like Antivirus or other programs.

Some older laptops wont take anymore than 2GB memory. I have one here like that, runs XP OK, but even with 2GB W7 is slow as a wet week and is always playing catchup when doing anything. :yuck:

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Setup should have a format option just select the partition WinXP is on now now select format, it'll format the hdd, then reinstall whatever.

And you cant do this, if you mean format the hdd while youre in XP / Windows.

Wondering if I should format the entire HDD and then boot from the cd and then install XP again from that point

wainuitech
28-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Watching how its done is simple compared to reading: ( do a few of them and you can do it in your sleep) ;)

To install from fresh on the existing Laptop:

Windows XP -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtbVIBxcDY

or

Windows 7 --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mME9VLT7-xw

If you wanted to use linux its very similar, but there are more options / questions you may have to answer/decide.

barryk
19-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Issue now resolved :-) thanks folks! I have re-installed Windows XP and got most or nearly all of my software going again. Was able to use backed up data from my USB flashdrive.

Digby
19-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Seems to me that it is too hard to upgrade laptops.
(Unless you really know what you are doing - or get a professional to do it)
The problem is all the drivers and proprietary software.

Better to buy a new one.
They are not very dear these days.

dugimodo
20-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Maybe Digby, certainly are some cheap ones around. However I just recently got my first ever laptop from a police auction. Never worked on one before, came with no hdd, no RAM, missing the hdd caddy & cable, and a faulty keyboard as it turns out.
As long as you are reasonably good at figuring tech stuff out and take some care it's completely doable by us amateurs :) This one even has a fingerprint reader I now log in with.

so my example;
Laptop $100
Keyboard $40
hdd $115
RAM $60
Caddy $35 (took 3 attempts and 2 purchases to get the right one - largely my fault but $120 plus from hp so still a win)
I had to find all the drivers and a copy of windows (key was on the laptop), fix the hardware, and install the software.

For $350 all up I get a pretty nice laptop, have some fun and learn some stuff, and it's even good enough for some gaming which you can't do on most sub $1k laptops.
It'll play WoW, Diablo 3, & Skyrim ok at it's native resolution but can't really handle them well on a 1080P external screen.

barryk
16-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Dugimodo, you did well with that laptop :-) My laptop is still going well.

Maybe Digby, certainly are some cheap ones around. However I just recently got my first ever laptop from a police auction. Never worked on one before, came with no hdd, no RAM, missing the hdd caddy & cable, and a faulty keyboard as it turns out.
As long as you are reasonably good at figuring tech stuff out and take some care it's completely doable by us amateurs :) This one even has a fingerprint reader I now log in with.

so my example;
Laptop $100
Keyboard $40
hdd $115
RAM $60
Caddy $35 (took 3 attempts and 2 purchases to get the right one - largely my fault but $120 plus from hp so still a win)
I had to find all the drivers and a copy of windows (key was on the laptop), fix the hardware, and install the software.

For $350 all up I get a pretty nice laptop, have some fun and learn some stuff, and it's even good enough for some gaming which you can't do on most sub $1k laptops.
It'll play WoW, Diablo 3, & Skyrim ok at it's native resolution but can't really handle them well on a 1080P external screen.