PDA

View Full Version : Intel NUC - PC

learning
26-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I am planning on replacing my small form factor desktop PC with a Intel NUC.

I am still trying to decide whether to get D54250WYKH (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wykh.html)- Core i5-4250U or D34010WYKH (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d34010wykh.html)- Core i3 4010U

I want to go for the Core i3 to save money but want to know if this will be "fast" enough for a desktop PC

I will be mainly using this NUC for web browsing, youtube videos and some HD video playback to external TV.

Anyone has experiences with these NUC please share.

Cheers

Alex B
26-05-2014, 07:32 PM
i3 will be fast enough for what you want. I would stick an SSD in is all.

CYaBro
26-05-2014, 09:30 PM
As above, the i3 will be plenty fast enough for what you want to do with it.
I've sold heaps of the i3 versions, with an SSD, and they work great.
I've also setup a couple of the Celeron versions as home theatre PCs/media players and they also run pretty well and can play 1080p videos no problem.

dugimodo
26-05-2014, 10:17 PM
They take mSATA drives so SSD is the only choice really. The only Options with a NUC are which one you buy, and what mSATA drive and Sodimm RAM you install. That said although the i3 is likely plenty capable you will never be able to upgrade it so if you can stretch to the i5 it will have a better chance of still being enough a few years down the track.

Been really tempted to buy one of these myself but I went with an itx machine and a gaming graphics card instead. 1080P with full antialiasing on a PC makes the same game on my PS3 look horrible by comparison :).

Alex B
27-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Nope those versions take either msata or a full 2.5" sata drive, or both.

CYaBro
27-05-2014, 01:14 AM
Yea there are new models now that take a standard 2.5" hdd or ssd.
Slightly fatter than the msata models but still pretty tiny.
The newer models also have an infrared receiver built in which makes them great for a htpc.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2014, 01:55 PM
ooooooooh now that's very cool!

Yeah I only used the earlier first-gen NUC models which required a SSD. Very good bang-for-buck overall and being so small / quiet is a real bonus too!

dugimodo
27-05-2014, 04:41 PM
I think I got confused with another NUC I looked at the specs for, neither of those links mentions mSATA in the specs?

I want one but I can't justify it. As for bang for buck it's ok but compare it to a similarly specced laptop that comes with a screen & keyboard & OS & HDD & optical drive (for some) and it seems like you are paying a premium for the small size. I like the Idea of attaching one to the back of a monitor or TV to create my own all-in-one type device though.

learning
27-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks folks, I will go with the i3 CPU.

As long as it lasts me 2-3 years I am fine with that.
My current small form factor PC is from 2008 running AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7Ghz

Starting last year it started to show age and now its bogging down considerably.

dugimodo, i think the newer models with 'H' at the end support 2.5" SSDs also due to increase in height of the case from previous model

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2014, 09:46 PM
The performance difference is noticeable, but for day to day operations you could just throw a SSD and a new OS in your current OC and it'd be just like new, provided you've got 4GB RAM :-)

dugimodo
28-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Yep, I had a USFF Dell optiplex 3Ghz core 2 duo with an ancient 80G hdd & 2G RAM running XP. Put a 1 TB hybrid SSHD in and upgraded to 4G RAM, installed windows 8 pro with media centre and it ran like a dream (still does I've given it to some friends). Not as cool as a NUC though :)

learning
02-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Side question in relation to getting a NUC: Are mSATA SSD drives cheaper then 2.5" SSD drives?

Also does one hold advantage over besides size?

potz
02-06-2014, 09:55 AM
yup

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Do you have the slot for msata?? Dont you need a interface / slot to put it in?? That'll be one advantage of Msata. It wont take up any room since, it'll be on the mobo itself. MSata is probably similar to M.2 which is smaller in size. And you'll get it on Series 9 motherboards (like ASUS)

That's what I may use in this system I'm building . Either ssd's or one M.2 ssd hdd and a few normal sdd's. To save space

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2014, 09:35 AM
yup

Wrong.
They're not specifically cheaper. In fact a quick check at PBTech shows that if you're getting a 120GB SSD, you'll save 20% by going a regular SATA SSD.

learning
15-06-2014, 09:40 AM
I decided to go with Intel NUC kit D34010WYKH.

It has 2 SO-DIMM memory slots and takes up to 16Gb of DDR3L memory.

If i install 4GB RAM, will that be enough for web browsing, youtube video viewing and then streaming 1080P movies to my external TV ?
Windows 7 64 Bit says minimum requirement is 2GB so I am wondering 4GB will be enough or should I go for 8Gb

Is there a performance advantage in installing memory in pairs rather then single module i.e Install 2x4GB modules or 1 8GB module ?

CYaBro
15-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I would start with 1x4GB module as that will be fine for what you are wanting to do with it.
You can always had another 4GB or 8GB module later on if you need more.

learning
15-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks, I will stick with 4GB for now. One more question as i started shopping for a Mini PCI Express wireless card.

Theres few Intel ones e.g Intel Centrino Wireless-N 6235 and 7260 models. But theres a number of bad reviews for 6235.

Does anyone know any other ones or if there is a particular one that is the current "best" Mini PCI Express wireless card on market?

Cheers