PDA

View Full Version : CDR burning tips etc.

13-12-2001, 07:52 PM
Ref the advice on CD burning. Advice is to turn off the 'auto inset
notification'. I have done this to both my CD reader, and the CD writer,
but
now when I put in your CD I have lost the 'auto start' facility, which is a
disadvantage for many CD's. What advantage is gained by turning off this
facility?
Further, I went to enable DMA for the hard drive, and 'unsupported hardware
alert', 'changing this setting may have undesirable effects with your
hardware--- etc' came up. How am I supposed to know, or find out, whether I
can change it or not? Where do I look or go to, for this info?
Another question, I went to put in your bug fix for Outlook Express, and it
came up, 'this update does not need to be installed on the system'. Does
this mean its already there?, how do I know? is there any way I can check?
Carl Watson. Whakatane.

13-12-2001, 09:20 PM
turning off auto run is more of a personal choise depending on how you use it. i have mine disabled because of games that require the disk in the drive and also i leave disks in for a long time. with auto play on it auto runs each time windows looks at the drives...damn annoying.

enable dma when ever possable. if you can't get dma to enable you may have a driver conflict. sb emulation being a classic example.

windows update.

13-12-2001, 09:23 PM
I'm not too sure about the CD Auto-notification thing, but for the DMA setting, just set it. If your drive can't handle it, Windows will automatically un-set it when you restart.

Usually if its a Microsoft bug fix, it'll give you a message like that one you got with the OE fix when it's already been applied. If you've got OE6, then I'm guessing its been included with OE.

14-12-2001, 12:44 AM
How can i find the DMA setting?
:=)

14-12-2001, 01:48 PM
The auto insert notification works by probing the cd drive about once a second.

I don't know of it messing with cd writers themselves as they usually get 'locked' while a disk is being burnt.

But if you have a cd-rom on the same channel and it starts up it could hog the channel for long enough to cause an underrun.

You can still start the autorun manually, just open my computer and double click on its icon (you may have to refresh to get it to show up).