PDA

View Full Version : Updates for Windows XP until April 2019

Lawrence
26-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Interesting http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get-security-updates-windows-xp-april-2019/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496246/end-of-support-for-windows-xp-sp3-is-april-8-2014/page-79

XP SP3 32 bit only

Some of the techies here might like to try and comment for people that are using XP

pcuser42
26-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Or you could upgrade properly...

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 11:10 AM
As several places have suggested, MS will soon catch on and dont be at all surprised if the "patch" is blocked.

Lawrence
26-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Was wondering that as it is a pretty gray area and no doubt some would compromise their system if it does not work for them

nmercer
26-05-2014, 12:53 PM
great stuff

what are you going to do in 5 years time?

XP is dead, good riddence

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 12:57 PM
great stuff

XP is dead, good riddence They will complain even louder, in five years time no doubt Windows will have changed again in its layout and operation and people will feel completely ( more) lost than what they do now. While people who learn new functions will be laughing and shaking their heads yet again. :groan:

I was working on an XP This morning - god it felt so OLD and :yuck:

Most people learn how to use a smart phone reasonable quick, if they don't they get left behind - same applies.

CYaBro
26-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Yea that's great but nothing else is going to be supported on XP.
Browser updates (Chrome, Firefox etc) will stop coming soon, your line-of-business software will stop supporting it and that flash new printer you had to buy won't have XP drivers available.

pctek
26-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Or you could ignore it all, disable updates and use it happily as long as you fell it is doing the job.

paulw
26-05-2014, 02:25 PM
great stuff

XP is dead, good riddence

And you were the one while Win 2000 was still going that was singing the praises of Win XP.. But then again you work for M$ so you have a verstered interest of people upgrading to the latest and greatest regardless how good / bad it may be..

bk T
26-05-2014, 02:48 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-microsoft-china-idUSBREA4J07Q20140520China bans Windows 8!

pcuser42
26-05-2014, 03:03 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-microsoft-china-idUSBREA4J07Q20140520China bans Windows 8!

Nowhere does it mention they banned Windows 8.1 ;)

rumpty
26-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Or you could ignore it all, disable updates and use it happily as long as you fell it is doing the job.

That's what another member of this household will be doing. As long as XP will browse the web, do email, and provide a word processor, why shift off it, they ask.
Almost forgot, Spider Solitaire is of course essential too.

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Almost forgot, Spider Solitaire is of course essential too. The games in XP look like they have been created over a Decade ago, so boring and plain -- OH WAIT-- They were.

The free games available on W8 have way more options and far more detailed than XP ever was. Even the basic Spider Solitaire is better.

rumpty
26-05-2014, 06:17 PM
The games in XP look like they have been created over a Decade ago, so boring and plain -- OH WAIT-- They were.

The free games available on W8 have way more options and far more detailed than XP ever was. Even the basic Spider Solitaire is better.

This could be the "game changer" for shifting from XP? But to Windows 8? Shudder.

pcuser42
26-05-2014, 06:18 PM

And there's a hell of a lot more of them as well. :D

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 07:18 PM
This could be the "game changer" for shifting from XP? But to Windows 8? Shudder. Without starting another Windows 8 is rubbish fight :)

A simple question -- Have you actually tried and used windows 8.1.1 for a week or more, or simply going by what some others are saying ?

Theres been a few people who were unsure, so I put in a spare HDD in their PC, installed the Trial, gave a couple of lessons - left them to it. Each time they ended up buying it ( The OS). Biggest problem was trying to get my drive back LOL.

Agent_24
26-05-2014, 08:12 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-microsoft-china-idUSBREA4J07Q20140520China bans Windows 8!Good to know someone has a bit of common sense regarding Windows 8.

The games in XP look like they have been created over a Decade ago, so boring and plain -- OH WAIT-- They were.That's what makes them such a classic ;)

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 08:16 PM
That's what makes them such a classic ;) Hate to disappoint ( not really) :p You can install the classic versions as well. Theres so much free choice it may be hard to decide.

Agent_24
26-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Hate to disappoint ( not really) :p You can install the classic versions as well. Theres so much free choice it may be hard to decide.

I'm OK with both, but I find the aesthetic of the old style more pleasing to my eyes for some reason. Aisleriot solitaire in Linux is probably my overall favourite though, many more game modes than any Windows version.

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Any bosses wonder why some others dont do any work -- To many free games :D

rumpty
26-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Without starting another Windows 8 is rubbish fight :)

A simple question -- Have you actually tried and used windows 8.1.1 for a week or more, or simply going by what some others are saying ?

Theres been a few people who were unsure, so I put in a spare HDD in their PC, installed the Trial, gave a couple of lessons - left them to it. Each time they ended up buying it ( The OS). Biggest problem was trying to get my drive back LOL.

I have tried Windows 8.1, on a new Dell laptop at my daughter's place, where I was staying for three weeks. But being someone else's computer, I couldn't really play freely with it. So, it was somewhat frustrating to use, I thought. Also, the "tap" function on the touchpad wasn't to my liking at all. Too sensitive. It can be disabled though, I think,

Must admit that the owners were just plowing on, getting to know it. I didn't hear too much cursing from them.

And there was dear old XP right alongside, on their old laptop. They had taken fright at the cessation of Microsoft's support for XP, and bought the new Dell.

wainuitech
26-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Also, the "tap" function on the touchpad wasn't to my liking at all. Too sensitive. Thats an actual problem with many Laptops. The manufactures try to make them into a combo of touchscreen and a Normal computer = doesn't work. I found its got to be one or the other.

Touchpads on most laptops can be awkward to use. Most people I deal with if they have a laptop, the first thing they do is add either a wired USB or wireless mouse (I do it to - the first thing I do when working on anyones laptop).

nmercer
27-05-2014, 04:42 PM
And you were the one while Win 2000 was still going that was singing the praises of Win XP.. But then again you work for M$ so you have a verstered interest of people upgrading to the latest and greatest regardless how good / bad it may be..

Well Windows 2000 wasn't for home users really, whereas Windows XP was.

I must be missing your point.

Lurking
27-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Thats an actual problem with many Laptops. The manufactures try to make them into a combo of touchscreen and a Normal computer = doesn't work. I found its got to be one or the other.

Touchpads on most laptops can be awkward to use. Most people I deal with if they have a laptop, the first thing they do is add either a wired USB or wireless mouse (I do it to - the first thing I do when working on anyones laptop).

One of the 2011 quakes shook a 21" CRT screen onto our lappy which was on the floor (in it's satchel) leaning up against the desk, took quite a while to get to cleaning up the household full of fallen furniture, fittings and objects.

Three years on and thinking about spending the EQC payout for it $1,500.00.

What do the pressf1 experts suggest for a replacement ?.

Thanks,

Lurking.

Ps. all the information on the XP Pro lappy gone to IT heaven, had backups tho.

lurks.

nmercer
27-05-2014, 08:44 PM
you need to describe what features you're looking for. Screen size/resolution/SSD, ports etc. You get what you pay for.

Lurking
27-05-2014, 11:49 PM
you need to describe what features you're looking for. Screen size/resolution/SSD, ports etc. You get what you pay for.

Don't do anything special, but at $1,500.00 this would get too much grunt at today's prices.

Mostly Family History, but a lot of them apparently don't run on Win8.1 e.g., Paf5.2. This XP machine covers for that, and wife's pc is Win7.

Could leave the money in the Bank earning interest, lol, until EQC does their audit.

Thanks,

Lurking.