PDA

View Full Version : Only some movies work

johnd
24-05-2014, 09:28 PM
I have one of these - Renegade-1080P HD Waterproof Extreme Sports Camera-All Metal (http://www.nz-esale.com/battyshow.php?code=Renegade-1080P%20HD%20Waterproof%20Extreme%20Sports%20Camer a-All%20Metal)

Every time I use it, it will record a number of videos that will replay fine, but after a certain number the icons change from the preview to a generic video icon. I have to delete the files (and sometimes reformat the card) to get it to work again. Once the file changes from the preview to the icon, no program seems to open the file - there are errors about streaming (I have deleted these files but will be more specific and post the details once I have used the camera again).

OS - Ubuntu 14.04 (but I have tried the images on a MS Win7 PC with no luck).
Files are recorded in AVI format.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

wainuitech
24-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Dont know if this will have any relation to the problem, or not
■System requirements: windows 2000/XP/vista/windows 7, above MAC OS x10.3.6 No mention of Linux. ?

johnd
24-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Thanks --- but I don't think that Linux has anything to do with it for the following reasons:
1. They are generic AVI files.
2. The same files that won't play in Linux also don't play in W7.
3. Often Linux is left out of compatible OSs not because it is not compatible!!
John

wainuitech
25-05-2014, 11:56 AM
after a certain number the icons change from the preview to a generic video icon. What you have to determine is what triggering that. Does it happen at the same time every time it corrupts ? This could be a certain amount of data / video added ? or a certain time frame gone. If it is, this could be a problem on the storage media at that point causing a problem, or a program causing corruption after a certain amount.

When it corrupts, is there anything you are doing each time just before it corrupts ?

johnd
25-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Was hoping to have some more test data after a mountain bike ride this afternoon - but like many places in the country, the weather was not appropriate for biking!

I will post back here once I have more data - might be the weekend before that happens.

wainuitech
25-05-2014, 05:50 PM
You'd need to either brave or stupid to go riding in this weather ;)

Just curious, does the device have removable media storage, like some sort of flash drive, or inbuilt ? If its removable you could try using a different storage media, that way it will narrow down if its the storage causing problems ( hope that makes sense) or software.

johnd
25-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Has a brand new 16G mini-SD card. I guess this could be the problem but am reluctant to buy another one yet.

wainuitech
25-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Personally I'd try a different SD card, ( doesn't matter what size) that will confirm if its the Card or something else. Worst case outcome you'd have a spare card.

johnd
26-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Before I do buy another card I have reformatted in exFAT - a full format which took about 45 minutes. However the device would not function with that file system so re-formatted back to FAT32. Will test next time I go biking and post the outcome.

inphinity
27-05-2014, 11:06 AM
How big are the files? It may be that, since it's only FAT32, you're hitting a 4GB file size limit.

johnd
27-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Good point - but they are all about 240MB (typically 239.3MB). At least the ones that play are this size - I will report back once I have gone riding again.

johnd
31-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Fine day today so went riding. Recorded 8 files of a total of 1.9 GB before the issues started. There are another 20 files totally about 4.3 GB. When I try to play any one of these I get "An error occurred. Could not determine type of stream" in Totem and if I try to play with VLC Media Player, nothing happens. I don't believe this is a Linux issue since as I have said before I can transfer the files to a MS W7 PC and the same files do not play. I guess the next step will be to try another memory card but I will have to purchase one. Interestingly the disk tool in Linux and properties of the disk say it is 33.5GB but it is printed onto it as 16GB.

fred_fish
31-05-2014, 09:09 PM
I'd be suspecting that media.
What filesystem is it? <edit>: just read earlier post FAT32 ... does it pass a chkdsk?

Can you copy a boatload of stuff to it and see if you get similar issues?

johnd
31-05-2014, 09:12 PM
FAT32 - been reformatted several times. I will try the boatload idea later - good idea.

johnd
31-05-2014, 10:31 PM
So I stuck a truck load of office files onto the card - all seemed fine. I then took 10 videos from my HDD and tried them - some icons displayed with no pre-view but unlike the ones recorded on the device, all played.

inphinity
01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Over 2GB worth of content from another source? What about a >2GB single file? Still sounds like media issue... dying at 2GB.

johnd
01-06-2014, 08:48 PM
OK - thanks people. I did have to spend money and it was the fault of the media. I guess the original 16GB micro-SD was relatively cheap, slow and probably nasty. Today I bought a quality 16GB SanDisk high speed micro-SD and at least on the first ride I did with it, the problem seems to have gone. A lesson here for me - to stop being such a "gorse bush pockets"!