PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 - Clock/ Time not working

EFFIGY
23-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Can't figure this out,
The time zone is correct, system time is set to NZ but the clock just resets itself 2 hours behind. I haven't used the computer in a few days. I only realised because I was hungry, but clock was saying 11:45, actually I have missed lunch completely :dogeye:

I have never experienced this before.

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Check the time in the BIOS. If thats wrong the time in windows will be wrong

linw
23-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Maybe your computer is Australian? :D

The brand new laptop I have just setup defaulted to Location=Australia!!

EFFIGY
23-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Been monitoring it all afternoon right now 5:06pm it says 2.18pm, so its actually losing time. I will check the Bios, but I remember setting it when I first fired 'Aspirenstein' up - and the clock was working until earlier this week. Has there been some sort of update that may have caused this?

Agent_24
23-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Are you dual-booting with Linux or anything? That has caused time errors for me in the past when both OS were not on the same timezone.

You might also have a low BIOS battery, that may cause the clock to lose time.

Or it could even be a bug\feature in some software you have. I once fell victim to a millennium bug (probably the only one I've ever seen!) in a DOS game:

The only change between v1.0 and v1.0a is a fix for a bug where if you
were running under Windows XP, your system clock would be changed
backwards 100 years if the year was 2000 or over. No other changes have
been made.

EFFIGY
25-05-2014, 11:28 AM
The Bios clock is right.
I just booted after two days, clock says 23/5/2014 5:17pm
Thats pretty much when I turned it off last.
If I go to clock settings and tell it to synch with windows.time it will show the right time, but will not continue to sync.
I am only running windows 8.1

EFFIGY
25-05-2014, 11:51 AM
The only software I have installed is Office 2010; Adobe Creative Cloud; Photoshop CS5; Steam, (Skyrim); Origin, (Dragon Age Origins, Awakening, DAII); HP Printer/Scanner Control Center; & Iron Browser. Of course there are the inevitable extras that come with those, but I always do a manual install to ensure I don't get anything I don't want, (toolbars etc)
I did re-use my old hard drive without wiping it, I just deleted the old Acer Partition... so that now my 'C' Drive is a new Samsung SSD, and my 'D' Drive is the old Seagate hard drive which still has some frequently used files accumulated over the past 6 years. Most of my Data is stored on two other external hard drives, one for Documents and one for Images.
Could there be something residual on that old Seagate causing a problem? I confess to not being very knowledgeable about partitions and Data storage, I probably have at least 3 copies of everything. :waughh: without knowing how I created them :o (is 5TB of data normal for one individual? Most of that is images)

Agent_24
25-05-2014, 12:09 PM
I can't imagine any of those will do anything, your old data shouldn't do anything either, it will just be sitting there. Maybe it's a Windows 8 bug

EFFIGY
25-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Yup seems to be - it just wont synch automatically - and it stays put on the time I sync it to. Further Googling is required.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Sync it with another server. I think windows.time is dead

Agent_24
25-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Sync it with another server. I think windows.time is dead

Maybe, but it shouldn't matter - once it is synced it should *stay* synced. The question is why does it keep going out of sync?

EFFIGY
25-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I did - same on all of them.

wainuitech
25-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Check its set correctly in PC settings ( these are in a different location to previous versions of Windows) go to the start screen type in Time in the results on the right select Change data and time - are they correctly set ?

Its possible the CMOS battery is a dud, even though its brand new it wouldn't be the first time a Motherboard comes with a bad battery.

Something is causing to go out of sync to start with. By default the time sync is windows.time on every W8.1

EFFIGY
25-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I got all the regional and time and language settings. Ill try the battery - 'cas it was working for the first week, indicating that the battery is now possibly pooped.

Alex B
25-05-2014, 04:51 PM
change it to 2.nz.pool.ntp.org

EFFIGY
29-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Well - its not the battery.
I thought I had found a solution, but I got this message - which means nothing to me, but it might help someone more knowledgeable...

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Looks like the error is related to a server version of windows or Small Business server. Or if you're on a domain

Which you're not using. And it means something isnt configured properly (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929276/en-us)

wainuitech
29-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Something to look at -- go into the services, check to see what the Windows Time is set to, ( manual, Stopped etc)

PS: the default is Manual

EFFIGY
29-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Its on manual (trigger start)

EFFIGY
29-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Looks like the error is related to a server version of windows or Small Business server. Or if you're on a domain

Which you're not using. And it means something isnt configured properly (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929276/en-us)

Huh? I don't run a server or small business...

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Exactly but thats what the link says that I posted

EFFIGY
29-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Well I ran Command Prompt as Administrator, I typed w23tm and hit enter; I read everything that was there and chose 'register' - so I typed w32tm/register and I think my clock is working now - the seconds are ticking over now - they weren't before, so we shall see...
fingers crossed

EFFIGY
31-05-2014, 02:42 PM
No: not fixed.
The clock stops as soon as I log out.

Agent_24
31-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Does the clock work in the BIOS? I wonder if it's not completely broken or something.

Speedy Gonzales
31-05-2014, 03:33 PM
It maybe a known bug on the Gryphon, the Maximus VI Hero, and the Sabretooth (http://www.overclock.net/t/1460576/asus-z87-frozen-real-time-clock-bug)

The links in the 1st post wont load tho. It looks like it affects a few Z87 mobos

One fix was, install latest bios..then reset cmos via jumper

EFFIGY
31-05-2014, 05:55 PM
:( Oh heck.

Well I am not in the mood for all that right now. I am sure I am able..... but flashing a bios sounds like ALOT of reading before I even attempt it.
Thanks for spotting that Speedy. I'll research it thoroughly over the next few days. Aside from not knowing the the time, the computer is working fine and the last thing I want is to create a big problem by trying to fix a small one.

Speedy Gonzales
31-05-2014, 06:02 PM
No probs it looks like a big bug that ASUS hasnt fixed yet. And a lot of users are getting pissed off that it's still happening. It looks like a lot of people have been having the same prob. But ASUS cant replicate it. Or find out what's causing this..

Those links work now (finally)! just managed to get into them. Hopefully it doesnt happen with the Z97 or H97 mobos (I've just ordered a H97 mobo / received it yesterday)