View Full Version : Windows 8, UAC type issues

23-05-2014, 11:36 AM
I've moved to Windows 8 at work now, since the April update it's been good. Personally I feel like the 'disconnect' that was there before is gone, the stuff they've done to improve dual screen use is excellent, it's quick, and on the whole I'm very happy with it.

Except for one thing.

In windows 7, with UAC turned on, if you plugged a drive (with another windows installation on it) into the PC and tried to open a user folder, it would have to 'take ownership' before the folder was able to be opened. Turning UAC off stopped this from happening - the user folders were able to be browsed into like any other folder.

Win8 does the same thing - except disabling UAC does not allow the user folder to be browsed into - it still asks for permission and has to go right through the folder taking ownership before it can be opened. (See attachment) Depending on the size of the folder, this can take up to 20 mins or even more. It's very frustrating, as I do this on average several times a day and it's a massive waste of time.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and/or found a solution to it.


Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Unzip this and dbl click on it. (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/) To import it into the registry.

That way you wont have to use a command prompt. If this is what you've been doing. Just highlight the drive / right mouse / take ownership. It'll take less than 2 mins

23-05-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm already using that - it isn't any quicker than letting windows take ownership, and also I've found that it doesn't always work properly in Win8.

I'm not using a command prompt (in this instance). If you see the screenshot you'll see all I'm doing is double clicking on the user folder.

It's something permissions related, has to be something that Win8 does slightly differently than Win7.

23-05-2014, 02:16 PM
For portable drives using exFAT stops it happening (no ownership). One cool thing about windows 8 and permissions (probably would have worked with 7 but I never encountered it) is that by using the same login on all my PC's they all have the same ownership rights.
I don't have a solution for your issue but for most people it's only an occasional occurance.

24-05-2014, 11:01 AM
why disable UAC?

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Its annoying like it was in Win7. Which is why I disabled it in Win 7 and 8

24-05-2014, 05:14 PM
why disable UAC?

Probably because it is retarded like the kindy screen in desktop versions of Win 8

24-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Probably because it is retarded like the kindy screen in desktop versions of Win 8
UAC is no worse that The annoying Linux request to enter a password every time you want to change or install something.

As for the tiles-- if you dont like them then dont use them, 90% of people that set up W8 for dont use them the other 10 % like and want to use them as they are designed to be used. But then I guess you cant please some people.

24-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I've never had an issue with UAC and this is coming from someone who had it turned on in Windows Vista...

24-05-2014, 06:57 PM
I've never had an issue with UAC and this is coming from someone who had it turned on in Windows Vista...
Ditto, same here, NEVER had a problem, even on Windows 8. Apart from a few times :rolleyes: When I do something "you are simply NOT meant to do", apart from then never know UAC is even on.

All I do when connecting another persons HDD thats going to prompt for permissions, is open the drive until it prompts, Which is usually the users Name -- Right click the User Name folder/Properties/ Security Tab / Advanced - Then click on "change"


Click on Cancel on the window that opens, then on the window that opens after that automatically, click on Enable Inheritance ( bottom left corner), you'll get a few " cant do it" but dont believe the warning, just continue, and bingo -- access to all the users data in a matter of seconds. You'll already have access to any files in windows etc, Generally only the persons data will you have had to change the permissions for.

Takes longer to write and read the above than to actually do it. ;) BTW-- UAC is still on :p