PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown prob.... related to Network.

13-12-2001, 05:26 PM
Hi, I have 2 computers an Athlon 1 Ghz and a P 166 MMX, they are networked through an Ethernet LAN card with TCP//IP protocal for file sharing and IPX//SPX as well for some older games ... the problem is, when the connection is terminated, ie, the client (166) shuts down or I pull off the cat5 cable, the Athlon would freeze within 20 seconds....this happens every single time. I ve posted this problem b4 ..but did not manage to figure it out...so can anyone plz help me??

13-12-2001, 05:56 PM
Are you running a real client/server setup or peer-to-peer? What OS? Whatever, the Athlon's probably going nuts trying to find out where the connection has gone. If so, you need to check all your network settings for what happens on disconnections.

13-12-2001, 06:18 PM
Far from 'freezing', the Athlon is probably very busy: making calls on the Ethernet, and waiting for an answer. Timing out, then calling again. Have a look at the activity lights on the Ethernet card. If it is not doing that, there might be something odd in the driver for the Ethernet card: it should return with an error to the system if the cable is unplugged ...