PDA

View Full Version : Win 8.1 mail client

linw
22-05-2014, 04:51 PM
What are you guys doing for people buying new comps regarding mail? Guess the mail client in 8.1 is OK (?) but you do need a MS login and some might not want that.

Desirable to import Vista Windows Mail files. See peeps transferring all the mail folder to win 8.1 but rather not do that on someone else's new shiny laptop.

I know I could use T'bird but doubt it can import windows mail data. (Will check later - in a hurry with this!!).

wainuitech
22-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Windows Live Mail which is part of Windows Essentials, you can select what programs to install and its completely compatible with previous versions right back to OE, & doesn't have to have live account to use.

linw
22-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks, mate, will install that.

This new lappie replaces the munted Vista!! Much happier with spending time on this!!

wainuitech
22-05-2014, 09:38 PM
The one thing that pisses me off about it (not a biggie though) is when importing, it will put the mails into a folder called Imported Mail ( or something like that) so to get the mail in the right place you go into the imported mail, ( say the inbox) ctrl+a ( select all) right click - move to - Inbox - over they go. Whats a pain is when a person has created many sub folders - you have to recreate them, then as before move across ( if you want to)

tutaenui
22-05-2014, 10:11 PM
In the future when I swap to Win 8.1 or more likely Win 9, I will continue to use the stand alone Opera E mail client.

linw
22-05-2014, 11:34 PM
In the future when I swap to Win 8.1 or more likely Win 9, I will continue to use the stand alone Opera E mail client.
That's what I do on my own machine, except I use T'bird.

linw
22-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Yeah, WT, it is a pain but in my experience most do it this way. Guess the importer just doesn't have enough info to know what to do with the new folders. Duplicated folder names could be problematic, too.

But, in the end, dragging and dropping folders is a small price to pay for getting thousands of emails and a good few contacts brought across!

Lawrence
23-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Came across a backup process for Windows Mail when replacing the email system for someone that involves just copying emails and backing up to a folder/USB

have tried and it works but have not tried for a new deployment of Windows mail but should work and would simplify reconstructing your email folders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sne017qhWeQ&hd=1

linw
23-05-2014, 02:26 PM
All done and looking OK (I hope!). Just in case someone else is hazy on how to do this I will post what I did.

For contacts I copied the win mail contacts folder into the win 8 user folder. Win Live Mail just finds it!

For email I used the Import\Win Mail then just pointed it to the old winmail folder.

Like WT says, that mail gets copied into the 'Imported' folder. I then just opened each folder under Imported, ctrl-A'd, then dragged the mail into the appropriate user account folder (Inbox, Deleted etc).

All seemed to go well but owner hasn't checked yet!

One thing I did find, though, is that the old Inbox had heaps of eml files with 0 bytes. Dates were spread. Tried to google what this was about but couldn't get a hit. I simply deleted these before I imported them.

So, all in all, one of the easier mail transfers.