PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 System Refresh

tonybr
22-05-2014, 05:21 AM
I run a computer group for retired people and have had experience with computers since the TRS-80 days

Recently I helped setup an HP laptop running Windows 8.1 (and upgraded it to Update 1)

A few days later the owner said a Window had popped up saying something like "Refresh your computer"

She claimed it was from HP but I cannot be sure of that

I called around the next morning and found it had been wound back to what appeared to be its ex factory state
except all her personal files were still there and a folder containing all information on her "previously" installed apps was on the desktop. It even removed all Windows 8.1 updates.

I had not heard of this but some Googling and found that it is a WIN 8 feature

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03538721

This may be very useful, but it should be available on demand like System Restore, not one that pops up to trap an unsuspecting user.

I send out periodic newsletters to the group and suggested that members with Win 8, be aware of this

A number of the members forward my emails and one received a reply from a friend to say the same thing had happened to him, AND it was with an HP computer

Am I being silly or is there a pattern developing here

I would dearly like to know if any member of this forum has had this happen, or heard of it happening

Greg
22-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Hey Tony... just for feedback... I'm relatively new to Win 8 (currently 8.1) and haven't experienced it.

dugimodo
22-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I've used the refresh option to clear a PC of personal data when selling it but I've never had it pop up. I'd assume there was a problem with windows and it was offered as a fix.
No offence meant to your members but any large group of users will likely have one or two that manage to mess the OS up at some point, this may have just been windows fixing something they had inadvertently done.
Or it could be windows messing up on it's own due to no fault of theirs.

pcuser42
22-05-2014, 09:14 AM
I've never had Windows suggest I should refresh my PC all on its own...

linw
22-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Nor me.

Poppa John
22-05-2014, 10:31 AM
I have a W8.1 that keeps telling me to bugger off & play in somebody elses sandpit. PJ

utopian201
22-05-2014, 06:47 PM
I've done a refresh just so I didn't lose my user data. It should be under Change PC Settings and you have to go through a few menus to do it, I've never seen it appear as a popup.

Agent_24
22-05-2014, 08:25 PM
I played with Windows 8 briefly, but never had that issue.

However... I do recall getting similar messages to do with the registry hives in Windows 98 on a machine that had faulty RAM so maybe you have some problem causing corrupted files which is triggering the restore.

EFFIGY
23-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Crikey - sounds a bit like the issue I had with my son's HP laptop.
Refreshing the computer did not resolve his issues, reverting to Windows 8 did.
8.1 + HP = Problems.
I have systematically removed ALL the bloatware that came with the laptop as well.
So yes I think there is a pattern developing.

Have a look at this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?136939-Windows8-*yourcolour*-screen-of-death/page4&highlight=windows+flashing) thread...