PDA

View Full Version : Windows update mess

linw
21-05-2014, 08:41 PM
How does one re-install an older windows version if the subsequent update process screws up?

That 4 yr old image of Vista I have just re-instated updated 50 OK then it found another 106! 787MB download. Then it proceeded to royally screw it up so it decided to start again (another 780MB. It got all the way through, eventually, then restarted.

Then the fun started. It wouldn't go past the dvr load so I tried safe mode. It then went into a loooong boot update and looked like it had done it OK.

Next it decides that didn't work so it unwound all the updates enabling the comp to boot again. I had removed the Internet cable as I didn't want another 800MB repeat!

It runs OK and has gone home but heaven knows what lies in store for the next update round. Maybe, just maybe, it might assemble the next updates better but I would be surprised.

You have to rely on the update process to do the job but if it stuffs up it's throw the thing away time. Which is what will happen to this one soon but the owner wanted to stall the new machine purchase for a bit.

Anyone had windows update screw up royally? If so, what did you do?

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2014, 08:47 PM
I fixed a Win7 PC up via teamviewer with one of the users here a few weeks ago. One of the last updates in this mths (or last mths) updates wouldn't install. It kept failing and bringing up an error

She tried the system update readiness tool, it failed, it took a while to fix it. Tried something else it looked like the prob was fixed, but the error changed. But I finally managed to fix it by doing a reinstall / upgrade from within Win7. Her prob was due to cbs.catalog corruption. Had to reinstall ALL the updates from SP1 after. Because this wipes everything except windows itself and the programs that were installed.

What errors are you getting?? That may help us in finding a fix

linw
21-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Not to worry about the fix, Speedy, as it isn't here now. There must have been well over a hundred failed updates recorded so it just seemed a hopeless case. I have spent FAR too much time on it already and couldn't afford another lengthy session on it. The time spent is already much more than the old thing is worth!

Thanks for the offer, though.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2014, 08:59 PM
No probs may even be the image that you used.. Anything is possible with windows !