PDA

View Full Version : Sysprep to install w7 on an old hdd?

8ftmetalhaed
19-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Hi all,
I have a license for W7 from my uni days. Girlfriend is running XP with many harddrives. I was considering taking my old laptop HDD (320gb) and installing windows 7 on it for her so she can just plop the drive into her computer.
If I was to either plug it into my laptop and install all the updates (or install it on a VM and do the same?) and then run Sysprep would I be able to plonk it into her PC without issue, or would I likely run into problems?

CliveM
20-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Unless the hardware on both machines is identical it is most unlikely to work without problems.

pcuser42
20-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Unless the hardware on both machines is identical it is most unlikely to work without problems. Have you read what Sysprep does? ;)

wainuitech
20-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Theres a few "gotya's" with Sysprep. if you have IE10 installed ( updated from 9) it often fails, you cant go forward or backward at this point without removing IE10. Youhave to remove IE10 BEFORE you sysprep.

Theres one sure fire way that does work, it does similar to sysprep http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292068-make-windows-7-bootable-after-motherboard-swap.html Do #1 first. Follow through to #5, second section, then dont worry about drivers ( they can be put in later) just clcik Adjust OS and follow the rest.

You put the HDD with the working OS in the laptop, boot from the Paragon CD, and after that it will load and install drivers as required.

The silly part about this is I had this program for a while as part of a package and never used it before Dhurrrrr :blush:

CliveM
20-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Have you read what Sysprep does? ;)
I must lear when to keep my mouth shut. :)

pcuser42
20-05-2014, 10:37 AM
I must lear when to keep my mouth shut. :)

I must admit, sometimes so do I ;)