PDA

View Full Version : W8 & PJ

Poppa John
17-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi All. A momentous time in the life of an old bloke. My XP was one of the first on the market. I have moved on & up. Now the fun starts, the questions start. With the help of a techie I have it set up as I want it, still a hell of a lot to learn tho!

So first question. On the XP I had a folder, Private Folder. password protected. W8 does not have this function as far as I can see. There are many options on Google. What would you recommend? Thanks. PJ

nmercer
17-05-2014, 09:07 PM
what program did you use to do this on XP?

Poppa John
17-05-2014, 09:10 PM
what program did you use to do this on XP?

It was an MS one on XP that I downloaded. PJ

wainuitech
17-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Gave this program a go :) This is on my W8.1 so it does work: http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2012/12/lock-folder-password.html

Poppa John
18-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Gave this program a go :) This is on my W8.1 so it does work: http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2012/12/lock-folder-password.html

Wt...Thanks for the link. I have been stumbling around trying to install the programme but I have "lost" the files icon. Where would I find it. To transfer data files, is it just drag & drop? Thanks. PJ

wainuitech
18-05-2014, 06:17 PM
IT DOESN"T actually install as such.

Once you have run it the first time (the Big Yellow padlock Icon.exe - Second pic below), it will run through the setup and ask for a password to be created that you want, it will then make a folder by default on the desktop called "Secured Files".

While its visible its unlocked, then you can drag /drop or open and copy/Cut / Paste into it just like any other folder. To hide/Lock it simply double click the padlock as before, you will be presented with a DOS type window, you type in what you want to do:

If you type in Lock, the folder will lock, ask you to confirm, type in Y and then it will disappear :eek: To make it visible again, double click the Padlock Icon.exe

It will now ask you to enter in the password you created before:
The folder will open and you can do what you want.

If you delete or move the folder from the desktop it wont work. I HAS to be on the desktop.

Once locked it wont be visible, so you can move the Yellow Padlock anywhere ( even to a USB drive) and no one will know the folder is there.

Even if someone went and altered the Hidden Settings within Windows, including protected system files, its NOT visible. The only way to unhide it is to run the Padlock.exe file - even if its on the USB flash drive. ( just tried and couldn't make it visible by making everything Visible) if someone went and downloaded the program and tried to open without your knowledge they would still need your password to unlock it.

Have a read on the site, (Scroll down) it explains it all.

Windows 98 had a similar program/Function installed by default, and it was handy for password protecting single folders. Like many things MS removed this function from XP onwards.

Poppa John
18-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Wt.. Embarrassed to ask but...where is the padlock. PJ

wainuitech
18-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Wt.. Embarrassed to ask but...where is the padlock. PJ
Where ever you downloaded the zipped folder to then extracted the exe. Normally by default most browsers will download to the "Downloads Folder" unless you have told them to go someplace else. (in your Name Folder on the desktop as long as someone has enabled it)

If you have lost the Padlock , but already set up a password, simply download and unzip the exe again, run it from any location ( on the PC or from a USB drive) and the folder on the desktop will appear. :)

Have you gotten to the stage of entering the password you want :

Had to run it on another PC to get the above picture.

Complete Procedure:

Unzip the exe file to someplace ( desktop is good)
Double click it. A DOS type box will open.
It will do a few actions automatically in a couple of seconds.
It will prompt to enter a password you want ( pictured above)
Ask to re-enter the password to confirm
Ask for a password hint

Create the Secure Folder on the desktop, then the rest as my previous above post.

Poppa John
18-05-2014, 07:25 PM
WT..I feel such a klutz. I now have the folder icon. How do I transfer files? PJ

wainuitech
18-05-2014, 07:33 PM
WT..I feel such a klutz. I now have the folder icon. How do I transfer files? PJ Same way you would with any other folder. Suggest you get some trial files( meaning copy/paste) some pictures, documents what ever you want.

The reason for copy/paste is if until you get used to it, making a copy of a file is safer in case something goes wrong, that way you wont lose the original. ;)

But its really easy, copy some files into the Secure folder, double click the Padlock Icon the folder, type Lock then Y it will disappear. Close off the DOS box, Double click the padlock, type in unlock, type in your password you made before - it opens. That's it :)

Off for a while Dinner time.

Poppa John
19-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Still having a problem with this. I have got the Icon on Desktop & the data is inside. I cannot find the Golden Lock to lock/unlock it. . PJ

wainuitech
19-05-2014, 06:09 PM
It will be in the same place it was when you first created the folder. If you have lost it simply download it again, extract it from the zipped folder to someplace you wont lose it. (Say the desktop) it will download to the Downloads folder ( as a zipped file) unless you say other wise, or have set it so it downloads someplace else.

You're not running from within the zipped folder are you ? If you are thats why you cant find it, you need to extract it.

Poppa John
19-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Wt...Sorted thankyou, I had indeed NOT extracted . PJ

Sooooo. next problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ