PDA

View Full Version : Card reader does not work on windows 8.1

kinloch
17-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I have got a new computer windows 8.1, in which the card reader did not work. I took the computer back, a new reader was installed it does not work either, any suggestion's.
Kinloch

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2014, 02:33 PM
What kind of card are you using??

If it's an SDHC card, does the reader support SDHC cards??

Whats the brand/model of this computer?

If the above doesnt apply, take it back and tell them to make sure it works, before you take it again

Lawrence
17-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Just been through the same thing Monday with someone with Windows 8.1,card not been seen looks like a driver issue on some comp's

http://wind8apps.com/fix-sd-card-windows-8/ ,worth a try

Tried with mine and no problem

kinloch
17-05-2014, 03:56 PM
The computer is from Mellennium it is asus. The card is a Lexar SDHC 8GB,i do not know what brand the reader is. the only reason I have not taken it back is I an out in the country and thought I would give the forum a go.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Only reason I can think of, if it cant or wont read it, is the card reader doesnt support SDHC

What does it do exactly when you put the card in it?? Nothing? An error comes up?

But it looks like it's a common prob. When you upgrade from 8 to 8.1.

Do the letters for the card reader appear in file explorer at all?? Or does it appear in device manager?

kinloch
17-05-2014, 05:10 PM
It does not show in this PC, if I put a flash drive in it shows then. The letters are all showing device manager and the drivers are all up to date. a dicksmith external multi card reader works fine.

Lawrence
17-05-2014, 05:41 PM
From what I have read a card Reader connected by way of USB is not a problem,appears to be the onboard card readers in some comp's

The family member that had problems I advised to download from the camera through USB which went without a hitch

kinloch
17-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi Lawrence, The camera UBS works fine, I just wondered if it is a windows problem or the type of card reader problem. I think the computer will be going back for them to sort out.