PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard for the i5 4670

lostsoul62
15-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I think the Asus Z87 is a good choice but when I look on amazon.com there are about 10 different ones and I just don't know which one to get. I will play games and I'm an average user so any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Z87 is the chipset isnt it?? And yup, there are lots of Z87 mobos. Depends what you want it to have onboard.

dugimodo
15-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Asus tend to name their boards after the chipset.
Any good name brand Z87 board will be fine, Asus, Gigabyte, & Asrock are my personal picks. The more expensive ones tend to have better overclocking options and more SATA ports, USB ports etc - most gamers don't really care about the ports but some do care about the overclocking.

As a gamer myself who's not into overclocking I tend to pick the cheapest board from those 3 manufacturers that is compatible with my CPU. Even chipset is not overly important to most people as long as it supports the CPU. I'm not going to hunt around on Amazon for you though, you'll have to do that yourself :) Just compare features and price and pick one.

tweak'e
15-05-2014, 07:36 PM
i'm running a i5 4670 on asus z87-plus. it runs very nicely. the differences between the boards is down to other features, ie sound chip, lan, display ports.
asus site and a few others let you compare the boards so you can easly see the extra features. then its just down to is the extra worth the $$.

EFFIGY
15-05-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm a complete amateur, and successfully fitted a z87, (Asus Gryphon, Micro ATX) - I have run all the tests I can think of plus a few suggested by Dugimodo, the board runs perfectly. The Bios is really easy to navigate, but I did as recommended and just left it on factory pre-set.
The only hitch (and it was minor) is that a large dual slot graphics card covers the little wireless PCI slot, so for wireless capability, you lose a full sized PCI slot if you want to run a large GPU. If you wanted to crossfire them I think you would lose internal wireless capability.
Mine has 6 SATA, and 1 USB3 and 2 USB2 internal connections, 4 of each externally.
In short - in my limited experience it is idiot proof.

wratterus
16-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Depending on whether you want ATX or mATX, I'd get either the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H or the Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H