PDA

View Full Version : Snap's new unlimited interent

Nomad
14-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Currently on the $75 for UFB 30Mbps 100GB + $15 for additional 100GB. $90 200GB. Now that the new plans are $75 80GB or $89 150GB and $99 unlimited. Do I just have to put up with it? I signed a contract 12 months ago and have another 12 months to go. I don't need unlimited but I read Snap are not implementing traffic management. As a business there is a finite amount of bandwidth - something needs to give ...

wainuitech
14-05-2014, 10:40 PM
If you are locked into a plan then it may be tough luck. You can ask to change, never know unless you try, the worst they will say is no.

But those prices for the amount of data & max speed are rather high.

Telstra/Vodafone just changed some of their higher end plans as of 1st May - mine switched over a few days ago -- and thought I check on how much I had used last month - just about sh1t on sunday only 2GB for a month WTF-- called them, PHEW, they have changed to unlimited & the usage indicator just keeps going and going it now shows how much you have used, not how much used/got left, my average speed in a speed test is 125 Mbps down -- not sure exactly how much it costs as its part of a plan/combo but its roughly $100 - $115/month.

Nomad
14-05-2014, 11:09 PM
I am actually ok with 200GB, we never go over. With their new pricing it appears the current plans get a GB reduction and a $99 plan is introduced for unlimited. At my current $89/90 I would go from 200GB to 150GB therefore I would need to fork out $10 more to get unlimited which we may not use.

As for comparing to yours they do have a 100Mbps plan unlimited and it's $119 I think. We just don't need 100Mbps, 30Mbps is fine for us and we stream IPTV.

Chilling_Silence
15-05-2014, 03:28 AM
The whole "Oh we don't throttle anything", complete BS!
If they're not doing it, they're letting the network protocol do it. If you've got a 10gig pipe, UDP data will take a hit first. That's Voice (Skype, TeamSpeak, SIP / VoIP calls) and gaming (That FPS you've got ultra low ping in, not any more).

Saying that is a complete sham, and Orcon are doing it to, and it leaves abysmal speeds overall for everybody. Sure, that ONE dude may be able to do 1TB a month, if he leaves it going 24/7, multithreading a bunch of different downloads, sure... But the average Joe Bloggs who just wants to watch a YouTube video or two at night, and not worry about constant buffering or blowing their data cap? Well they've just been screwed over by the first bloke.

inphinity
15-05-2014, 09:15 AM
No changes are being made to existing customers or their plans unless they request it.

From the GZ thread (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=90&topicid=144301&page_no=2#1043748) on the changes.