PDA

View Full Version : whats the best free antivirus to use

petemit
13-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Hi I am going to use a free antivirus on a computer I use online sometimes and would like to know the best one to use
I dont want one which uses lots of system resources to run it as comp only has a couple of gb of ram and 50 gb of hard drive it is running Xp profesional
cheers thanks
Peter

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Question is, do you need one? There maybe a few, BUT they may or may not support XP now

wainuitech
13-05-2014, 10:05 PM
If you must use a free one, the one I put on customers computers is 360 Internet Security 2013 ( NO ITS NOT NORTON) May be Chinese company but its actually not to bad the main engine is from Bitdefender. (it will eat all the other free ones)

A review from http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/360-internet-security-free (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/360-internet-security-free-triple-antivirus-engine-bitdefender-included.348585/) If you want to try it go to http://360safe.com/internet-security.html and get it, download.com has to much crap and trys to install its own installers :(

I've installed it on XP and it works fine. Normally I'd put on Nod32, but some people are to tight to pay for it ;)

petemit
13-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Hmm oka hadnt thought of that I just presumed they would still have antivirus for it
Any thoughts of trend micro security agent as I have that on a comp running Vista busines which I was useing at work but have it at home so will need antivirus for that.
Is there any advantage in having a paid for antivirus instead of free as far as picking up virus goes

Thanks
Peter

wainuitech
13-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Any thoughts of trend micro security agent :devil:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

petemit
13-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Hi Wainui tech I presume that means you hate Trend Micro ?
I might remove it off this computer and run 360 safe since Im no longer using it at work
What are the current best anti malware programs to run I have run malawarebytes but from memory there were a couple of other ones which were good and found different problems
I had to remove them as the computer tech where I worked said they were incompatible with the trend antivirus and caused the computer problems so I uninstalled them ( this was a couple of years ago)
Thanks Peter

bk T
13-05-2014, 11:01 PM
A review from http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/360-internet-security-free (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/360-internet-security-free-triple-antivirus-engine-bitdefender-included.348585/) If you want to try it go to http://360safe.com/internet-security.html and get it, download.com has to much crap and trys to install its own installers :(

Came across that, it has lots of crap ware came with it and hijacks the browser with lots of pop-ups. Very hard to remove it completely. Hate it!

petemit
13-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Hi Bk t
Thanks for your reply did you download it directly from the site as Waimui Tech sugested I do or did you download though download.com?

wainuitech
13-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Personally ( and a lot of others here) also run / suggest Nod32 ( its a paid AV.)

Interesting comment regarding Trend and your IT guy-- It will be trend thats causing the problems. Generally programs that are regularly used, Malwarebytes 2 (much improved over the previous version), Spybot just to name a few all play nice together. Other programs I use for cleaning are JRT, AdwareCleaner, RogueKiller -- You can get them from bleepingcomputer.com (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/) links at bottom of that page as well. use the download from Bleeping computer. Theres a few others that I use for cleaning but not really needed if the computer is not badly infected. General cleaning with Ccleaner keeps things clear as well, + speeds up scanning as no point in scanning junk files.

See it all to often Trend causing various problems, and can slow some computers down. When it breaks its the ultimate antivirus --- Why you may ask ;) it kills the internet so you cant go anywhere to get infections :D

Nothing is perfect, but some programs have a bigger performance hit on lower spec PC's.

petemit
13-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your reply's I see 360 internet security is 230mb compared to eset nod at 60 mb
I used to use eset before I had to use Trend Micro and was happy with it so might delete Trend and download Eset and run that

Cheers
Peter

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Dont download ANYTHING from cnet or download.com. They were known to repack whatever and install their own crap into the installs. Which included malware

petemit
13-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks I will remember that Not that I down load that many programs but I am setting this Vista comp up for my own use not work so I can do what I like with it
I use cc cleaner often to keep it clean
Cheers
Peter

bk T
14-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Hi Bk t
Thanks for your reply did you download it directly from the site as Waimui Tech sugested I do or did you download though download.com?

No, I never installed myself - it's my friends' computers. You'll find that 80% of those computers with Chinese OS have 360 installed as it's 'bundled' with 'QQ' and other free software. You'll also find that those PCs badly infected PCs have 360 installed, too. LOL

wainuitech
14-05-2014, 08:47 AM
No, I never installed myself - it's my friends' computers. You'll find that 80% of those computers with Chinese OS have 360 installed as it's 'bundled' with 'QQ' and other free software. You'll also find that those PCs badly infected PCs have 360 installed, too. LOL Never struck that. There have been some people who have had that free one installed and then decided to upgrade to Nod32, and guess what was found - NOTHING apart from a few cookies. Often you'll find other free software gets installed from many places, one real COMMON one is Adobes flash install, it alwasy installs mcAfee security scan if you download it from Adobe and dont untick the box first, as well as what Speedy said from download.com etc

I did a indepth test on that 360 before I put it on anyones computer on a fresh install, nothing extra was added. There have only been one or two that I installed it on and it went nuts finding infections that were missed by the likes of AVG MSE and Avast etc.Its only used as a last resort as normally I would use Nod32. ANY software you HAVE to look at what you are putting in, not just go next next and accept the defaults like many people do.

14-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Avast Free runs OK on descent XP PC's

IF you do a custom install & untick everything except email & file scanning.

Nod AV also runs pretty well on older PC's
In general, avoid the all singing, all dancing internet security suites

I see Symantec is now getting out of the consumer AV business. That 2 of the worst going or gone (Norton & McAfee).
What crudware will fill that that vacuum :)

lakewoodlady
14-05-2014, 11:13 AM
A very interesting topic and as a user of Win 8.1.1, would it be best to use 360 Internet Security on it instead of Defender which is built in? (we were told that Win 8 did not need any other AV on it).
WT, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

LL :-)

14-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Re qihoo 360 : would you really trust this company enough to install their products.
May all be false or unfounded accusations, but ....

http://www.techinasia.com/qihoo-committing-fraud-google-making-huge-mistake/
http://www.techinasia.com/massive-expose-blasts-qihoo-360-cancer-internet/
http://www.ibtimes.com/privacy-issues-chinas-qihoo-360-technology-which-provides-free-antivirus-software-are-becoming-more

Agent_24
14-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Not sure I would trust any security software coming from China... probably full of government backdoors. Then again probably Windows is too, so maybe you should just get Linux.

Though maybe someone managed to sneak some in there too, so you might as well just build your own OS from scratch.

bk T
14-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Not sure I would trust any security software coming from China... probably full of government backdoors. Then again probably Windows is too, so maybe you should just get Linux.

Though maybe someone managed to sneak some in there too, so you might as well just build your own OS from scratch.

China is nothing compare to USA -- the US is the big brother in this particular area!

Agent_24
14-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't trust either of them.

dugimodo
14-05-2014, 12:07 PM
I just use windows defender as supplied with windows 8 and an occasional MBAM scan and have no problems but I've been contemplating NOD32 off and on for a while.
As for 360, if it uses the Bitdefender engine and is good why not use Bitdefenders own free anti-virus? or is it not as good despite using the same engine?
http://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html

A lot comes down to how you use your computer and I find I'm just less likely to get viruses than some of my friends because I'm a lot more wary and skeptical. I don't believe warnings on websites, I don't open E-mail attachments from unknown sources, and I read the options when installing software and untick things I don't want. If something makes me think I might be infected I shut everything down and run my own scans, never clicking any links that claim they want to fix it for me. Do all that and even basic antivirus like windows defender is usually adequate.

That said using a better anti-virus is obviously not a bad Idea, I am just being a cheapskate and relying on the fact that I can start over and reinstall everything if I ever have to. Some of my friends seem to need every security measure known to man and a backup policy to keep their PC's clear and even then would benefit from someone sitting there telling them "no don't just click that, read it" most of the time.

bk T
14-05-2014, 12:15 PM
A lot comes down to how you use your computer and I find I'm just less likely to get viruses than some of my friends because I'm a lot more wary and skeptical. ...

Me too! :)

14-05-2014, 12:45 PM
http://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html[/url]

Bitdefender are doing their absolute best to try & hide the free version from us , the free version links on their website redirects to the pay version :banana
Its a manual scan only AV, no real time protection. But that may be all many of us really need

Heres a working link
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bitdefender_free_edition.html

bk T
14-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't trust either of them.

Who would you trust, then? :D

dugimodo
14-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I haven't tried installing it but the big green download button on the page I linked appears to download the installer for the free version just fine, doesn't seem hidden?

14-05-2014, 01:45 PM
I haven't tried installing it but the big green download button on the page I linked appears to download the installer for the free version just fine, doesn't seem hidden?

Thats rather strange. On the PCs here , the free AV link redirects to Bitdefenders home page, on both FF & IE . The wonders of the Interwebs I guess

Agent_24
14-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Who would you trust, then? :D

I don't think the government of any country is trustworthy, really.

wainuitech
14-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Very simple solution: put Nod32 back in and use that.

I've just gotten back from a persons place, they had the Latest Avast -- What a bloody mess - full of malware and unwanted "fixit" programs :groan:

Cleaned all the temp files cookies, disabled all the malware programs saying PC checkups, increase speed etc First ran Malwarebytes V2 on it - roughly 160 infections detected by MalwareBytes, then ran AdwareCleaner and RogueKiller , that found a whole lot more over 40 between them, as well as god knows how many reg entries were repaired, then ran HitmanPro, that finished with roughly another 50 entries.

Then removed AVAST that was practically dead anyway as it was so badly damaged had to manually remove it. ( fun and games)

Finally installed and ran Nod32 -- there is a LOT of data on this computer, when I left Nod had detected another 112 files, none were cookies etc. I instructed the guy on what to do as he said no point in me hanging around for another hour or two.

Reinstalling wasn't an option he said-- OK.

His wife actually had the free 360 that someone else had put on. I removed it and was running Nod on that as well, with 61% done - only 2 minor infections ( left overs from a tool bar that had been removed several months back)

So much for Avast - piece of rubbish.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2014, 04:31 PM
And that's the reason, why I'll stick with what windows installed :p Most of the free AV programs are crap, die when the system gets infected. Or they'll crash your system. It takes twice as long to boot into windows with MSE. So I wont be using that again

Dont have to test the rest to see what they're like. I can see from other sites, they can block things / crash systems / lag a system. Thanks but no thanks. I can live without them

I may try NOD32 sometime, when I win lotto. Or when I can afford to pay for it

asdex
14-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi, I have been using Bitdefender and it seems very good. It doesn't keep popping up with ads and other stuff. It gets a good write up and I' happy with it after using Advast for a long time. I tried AVG recently but it had a lot of popups

15-05-2014, 10:49 AM
I have many corporates running NOD32.
Yet , despite NOD32, its usually the same few people who get their PC's infected, more than once.

Its the user, not the AV.
Avast is fine. No AV will protect from user stupidity.

bk T
15-05-2014, 10:59 AM
... No AV will protect from user stupidity.

Well said.

Agent_24
15-05-2014, 11:43 AM
In most cases I agree, but it's not your own stupidity if someone hands you an infected drive, you go to a legit site that has been hijacked with a drive-by download, etc, you're going to want a working antivirus, and some work better than others.