PDA

View Full Version : Notebook -size and weight

Bryden
10-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I am looking to purchase a Notebook (have a 32GB desktop and two laptops, plus tablet) - I want the Notebook to be light and small - so I can cart it around and also use it to pair with my Smart TV (Panasonic). Both laptops are bigger and heavier than I want.... I also want 16GBRAM.... suggestions please?

TIA

Bryden

wainuitech
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Was working on a TOSHIBA ULTRABOOK yesterday, nice units, light, smallish.

16GB Ram is excessive on a notebook , what were you wanting to run that requires that much ?

Greg
10-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Ascent.co.nz have a fairly smart customisation ordering facility which may help.

Greg
10-05-2014, 07:48 PM
16GB Ram is excessive on a notebook Never! Don't use foul language like that in public mate... no such thing as excessive RAM!

:illogical :nerd:

nmercer
10-05-2014, 08:27 PM
DELL M4700

Bryden
10-05-2014, 10:07 PM
16GB RAM - I am just not patient and figure the bigger the quicker.... thanks to everyone for the replies/advice.... Bryden

Alex B
10-05-2014, 10:43 PM
More RAM does not equal quicker, it means better multi tasking 4-8GB of ram will be plenty unless you're doing some serious photo/video editing. If you want fast get something with an SSD Hard drive.

What do you mean by pair it with your TV? With a cable that's easy, if the TV supports WiDi then that's pretty easy too.

It sounds like you're after an Ultrabook 11'/13' MacBook Air has recently come down in price and is a very good light weight Ultrabook, Samsung and Asus both do a range of ultrabooks with Windows 8, some with touch screens if that's your thing.

Or maybe even something like the Microsoft Surface Pro.

wainuitech
10-05-2014, 11:26 PM
More RAM does not equal quicker, it means better multi tasking 4-8GB of ram will be plenty unless you're doing some serious photo/video editing. If you want fast get something with an SSD Hard drive.
That's exactly why I asked -- More RAM doesn't relate to more speed, once you get to about 4-6GB, for general day a to day usage you wouldn't notice higher amount. I just recently dropped my office PC from 8 to 4 GB as a couple of sticks started giving problems, and to be honest theres no noticeable difference in performance doing any thing.

A few weeks ago I dropped in a SSD drive on a customers Laptop instead of a Normal HDD, THAT made a noticeable improvement.

icow
10-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Do you have a budget?

In my opinion the 13" Sony Viao Pro (better screen) (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2004406) and the 13" Macbook Air (better battery life) (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1983827) are the two best ultraportable notebooks you can buy. Both come with pci-e ssds which are absurdly fast (have one in my laptop and I wouldn't trade it for anything). Note: The Sony does come in a 8gb RAM configuration but you may have to order it direct from Sony(?)

Webdevguy
11-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I am looking to purchase a Notebook (have a 32GB desktop and two laptops, plus tablet) - I want the Notebook to be light and small - so I can cart it around and also use it to pair with my Smart TV (Panasonic). Both laptops are bigger and heavier than I want.... I also want 16GBRAM.... suggestions please?

TIA

Bryden

The only programs out there that will actually recognize 16GB of RAM are programs like AutoCAD, 3D programs and video editing software. For all other programs like MS Office, the most they will utilize is about 4GB. So having 8GB of RAM on your laptop would be more than sufficient for a super fast user experience.
You say you are "impatient". My suggestion would be to drop your impatience and become more proficient as proficiency tends to lead to being faster at using a particular application :thumbs:

Bryden
11-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Having done the rounds of various computer outlets I have bought an HP 13.3 Touchscreen Ultrabook - 13-3004TU Has a i7-4500U Intel processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Hard Drive, Intel graphics and W 8.1. Paid $2500 at Noel Leeming - Pricespay had it at $2600+ so am happy with the deal.

Thanks for all the helpful advice -

Webdevguy
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Having done the rounds of various computer outlets I have bought an HP 13.3 Touchscreen Ultrabook - 13-3004TU Has a i7-4500U Intel processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Hard Drive, Intel graphics and W 8.1. Paid $2500 at Noel Leeming - Pricespay had it at $2600+ so am happy with the deal.

Thanks for all the helpful advice -

That's a rather hefty price to pay for a Touch Pad! What was it about the Touch Pad that appealed to you?

Greg
11-05-2014, 05:10 PM
The only programs out there that will actually recognize 16GB of RAM are programs like AutoCAD, 3D programs and video editing software.Logic tells me more RAM = better performance and frame rates for graphics-intensive games. Or isn't that the case?

I've just ordered an extra 8 gigs for my lappie (to equal 16) Not too fussed if the performance isn't too noticeable, but it'll satisfy my ego! :D

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Just remember to update it to 8.1 update 1. Otherwise, you wont be getting anymore updates. 8.1 by itself is no longer supported

Webdevguy
11-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Logic tells me more RAM = better performance and frame rates for graphics-intensive games. Or isn't that the case?

I've just ordered an extra 8 gigs for my lappie (to equal 16) Not too fussed if the performance isn't too noticeable, but it'll satisfy my ego! :D
Normally you would be right on the money Greg, but some program's like word or excel are not designed to require that amount of RAM (I think they need a maximum of 1 or 2GB each) so you would just be wasting money if you bought extra RAM with that intention. As previously mentioned extra RAM will allow you to have up to 10 applications open at any given time and be able to jump between them with out noticing any performance lag.
If you are into things like heavy photoshop work, mixing music or editing HD Video clips in Adobe Premier Pro then 8GB will be ideal.

It is my understanding that more RAM won't have any affect on graphics performance in a game - that would be handled by the graphics card.

I am curious to know why anyone would spend nearly $2600 on an HP Touch Pad. I would have thought they were worth a Maximum of $1800-$2000.

Alex B
11-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Alex B
11-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Similar spec to a Retina MacBook Pro really, I would say that's about the right money for that machine.

Agent_24
11-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Logic tells me more RAM = better performance and frame rates for graphics-intensive games. Or isn't that the case?

No. When your game has used all your RAM and Windows has to use the pagefile then you will likely get lower frame rates as the data takes a much longer time to read\write. But at the point where you have enough RAM to run the game without using virtual memory, adding more RAM will not make it faster because it won't really be using it.

It's a bit like improving the aerodynamics of a car, at first you'd get good results but at a certain point it won't go any faster unless you get a bigger engine. In this case, that would be the CPU and GPU.

If that still doesn't make sense - think about this: If I (somehow) managed to install 16 Terabytes of RAM in a 386, would it run Crysis?

icow
11-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Similar spec to a Retina MacBook Pro really, I would say that's about the right money for that machine.

Best laptop I've ever owned.

Webdevguy
11-05-2014, 11:46 PM

I'd be happy with the MBP 15 inch :)