PDA

View Full Version : RAID Mirror - home use?

Nomad
08-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Any of you guys using this layout?

My next system in some yrs might use it. For now, not redoing the software. I would have also a external drive in case eg .. I accidentally deleted a file or I get a virus to the other HD is replicated. The thing minimal downtime and fuss. No need to wait a day for the new HD to arrive, plug it in, reload the image before I can boot into Windows. I also don't need to resync some folders manually by running the software.

In 4 or 5yrs do you think small capacity PCIe SSD and larger capacity normal SSD be available? Something like 2 faster SSDs for the OS (mirror) and 2 slower SSDs for the data (mirrored). Or alternatively 2 standard SSDs and 2 rotary HDs.

Alex B
08-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I run RAID1 on my NAS, yes. I used to run a RAID5 on my desktop, more just to play with. The thing about RAID is you need a good controller, most built in ones are pretty average. Yes of course storage will get cheaper, not that I think $150 for 240GB of very fast storage is exactly expensive.

psycik
08-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I use software (for windows) called drivebender - $15USD for software that will let you take a bunch of drives (I have 4x2TB, 1x3TB and about to replace one of the 2s with a 4TB) and make them into one big drive.....then for folders at any level - or everything if you prefer - turn on replication - which essentially mirrors content.

Great for drive failures - the 2TB drive I'm replacing was starting to cause issues, so I just set it for removal and will just add the 4TB tonight. I've found it much easier than RAID5 as the controllers - the good, interchangeable ones are pretty expensive....and the inbuilt ones if you change motherboard, its potentially a different chipset and therefore breaks the raid. This just uses the individual drives on the sata ports, and will even accept USB connected drives into the pool

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
I accidentally deleted a file or I get a virus to the other HD is replicated.
You don't want RAID then, quite the opposite
If you use RAID, then if one drive gets infected, the other is a 1:1 constant mirror. A RAID is designed to protect against hardware failure, not virus infection or a software issue.

What you actually want is regular backups using something like Norton Ghost.

Nomad
08-05-2014, 04:23 PM
I have external drives too. .. so if I get a virus with raid that's ok. I use windows image backup, used acronis and Norton in the past. Want minimal downtime and the auto rebuild once a new drive is attached.

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2014, 09:48 PM
In that case a RAID mirror isn't what you want, but a RAID for striping, for faster speeds. Better still, flag that and just get a SSD.

A RAID (Mirrored) will 100% purely protect you from a HDD failure. Anything else, it's absolutely pointless and you're wasting your time IMO. Just stick with system images and backups.

dugimodo
08-05-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't think RAID is something most home users really need. A regular backup is good enough. How often would a RAID mirror have saved you time so far?
But then if a 2nd drive is cheap enough for your budget and you want the peace of mind then go for it.

Nomad
09-05-2014, 12:24 AM
I just replaced a hd think software provided cautionary. Within 5yrs 3 hdd replaced under warranty excluding this maybe one. But it took 2hr format 1-2hr resync my files. Those 3 hdds when it was the boot drive. I needed to wait a day for delivery so out of action. I did have external via dock I wasn't prepared to wipe and use that.

Thinking 2 ssd and 2 rotary hdd for larger capacity for data. Still have images too shoved into a folder then mirrored and also in the external drive.