PDA

View Full Version : Changing Web Building Site?

DakotaNZ
07-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi guys, I am quite new to web design so please excuse my silly questions. I have built a site in the past using Wordpress and am now building my second, I was advised by a web developer to give Concrete5 a go as it has less glitches. I have not found it as user friendly as Wordpress and quite limited as to what free templates are on offer. My question is....I would like to cancel the website I have been building through Concrete5 and start building it in Wordpress instead, so how do I do this, do I need to cancel the Concrete5 one first and if so how do I do that? Or can I just go straight into Wordpress and start a new one using my domain name? Thanks for any help :)

Webdevguy
07-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi Dakota, Don't change your domain name unless you absolutely have to, the main reason being that each time you change a domain name you have to wait about 5-8 days for the new www.mynewsite.co.nz to be repopulated around the internet.

Rebuild your new site in wordpress and Wamp, Xamp or Mamp then just to log onto the server, delete the old one and upload the new site.

Just out of interest, how good are you at coding in HTML and CSS and PHP?
Learning how to write code for websites is not something that you can learn over night unless you are one of those people who is a self taught quick learner who has a photographic memory. (I've met a few people who fit that description)

For the rest of us, understanding the logic and learning to code usually takes a fair bit of practice and a fair bit of determination.

Any time you start using a free template "all in one" website building package you will encounter its limitations very quickly.

Anytime you work with a fully customisable package like Wordpress or Joomla or Drupal you will find yourself in a steeper learning curve but you will also find a lot more freedom to customise your work.