PDA

View Full Version : W7Pro XP Mode Status Question

Billy T
06-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Hi Team

I am am making preparations for a new PC which will run W7Pro, but I will also want to run XP mode and I am presuming that XP mode will automatically include SP3 and all of the security releases up to the time that this version/copy of W7Pro was committed to DVD production.

Is that a realistic expectation?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tmrafi
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM
This is from Microsoft web site
Windows XP Mode provides a 32-bit virtual Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (SP3) environment. This download includes a virtual hard disk (.vhd file) with Windows XP SP3 preinstalled. Client virtualization software, such as Windows Virtual PC is required to use Windows XP Mode.
Basically Windows 7 disk does not have a XP copy. You have to download the VHD from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002 and will have a virgin XP-SP3 environment. So you may have to download 7 years worth of updates once you get it going.

Chilling_Silence
06-05-2014, 04:10 PM
It will include SP3 but that's all. Everything else requires an update, and they even recommend you run AV software inside of the VM etc.

Personally, if I was you, I would skip Win7 Pro, you'll already be well behind the curve if you do that and potentially opening yourself up for a whole lot more heartache.

If you were to start off with Windows 8.1 Pro, it comes with Hyper-V that you can use, and you can use XP-Mode with it:
http://lifehacker.com/5965889/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is actually nice now, if you're not using a Touchscreen then it'll pop you straight into the Desktop mode. That in itself is a HUGE improvement.
Other things like the better Task Manager, the copy progress box, integrated Hyper-V for Virtualization... You'll kick yourself in a years time if you go with Windows 7.

KarameaDave
07-05-2014, 09:43 AM
If I recall correctly, you are needing to run legacy peripherals and software?
As agent 24 has indicated previously, virtualized solutions do not always support such.
If there is no driver for Win7 (or 8) you will likely have zero luck using these pieces of equipment.
I would test this thoroughly before committing to such a plan.

It may be easier to keep a dedicated XP machine for this.

Good Luck.

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2014, 10:30 AM
USB Passthrough is supported quite often though, and a lot of the el-cheapo USB -> RS323 adapters you can get from the likes of PBTech work without any worries.

KarameaDave
07-05-2014, 12:18 PM
USB Passthrough is supported quite often though, and a lot of the el-cheapo USB -> RS323 adapters you can get from the likes of PBTech work without any worries.
What you say is true, however the legacy software may not support such.
Testing is the way forward before commitment IMHO.

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Testing is the way forward before commitment IMHO.

100% agreed!

Billy T
07-05-2014, 10:28 PM
It may be easier to keep a dedicated XP machine for this. Good Luck.

I might run a dual-boot system instead of a virtual machine, and whatever means I use for XP, it will only be on-line long enough to download any essential updates and after that it won't require web access again.

I've avoided Vista, and have no desire to experiment with W8.1 or any other variant any time soon, so W7 should carry me through until either I hit the wall, or it too runs out of support, especially if it enjoys the longevity of XP, by which time W8 will probably be a more mature and usable OS, but I will always have to run legacy programs for as long as I remain in business.

I keep a W95 notebook and a W2000 laptop for current DOS compatibility (but the latter is dodgy on the serial port, works sometimes but not others) plus I have the disks for Dos 6.22 through W95, W98 (no ME!!) and W2000 Pro plus a copy of MS Virtual PC, and with USB>RS232 as an option if I can get it to play nicely with my instruments, so collectively I have a reasonable chance of establishing continuity. I don't know anything about RS-323 Chill, it may post-date RS-232 and might not be compatible with my instruments.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
07-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Just a comment on one part of your post Billy -
by which time W8 will probably be a more mature and usable OS, Thats a very common comment / thought from people who have never used windows 8.1.1. with all the latest pieces added in.

With the exception of the start menu being different a person would find it very hard pressed to tell the difference between what W8.1.1 is now and W7. The biggest change is some things are ever so slightly different to get to, other wise everything is still there.

Heres an example: can you press a Key on the keyboard, and click on a off button that's on the top right instead of bottom left ???? if you can then thats one way to shut it down -- Is that so hard ?

A few weeks ago I put in a new W8.1.1 along with a Trial of Nod32 into a guys place, today he called me to purchase the Nod32. I asked him what he thought of the New OS -- his reply was "at work we have W7,some things he does at home on W8 he misses when working on W7, in less than a week he completely changed his look at W8, now it feels like W7 is incomplete"

Suggestion: Download the 90 trial of W8, its free, install it, and try it for its length of the trial, then decide. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

Many people make negative comments and have never tried it -- they talk themselves into believing its hard, which its NOT.

As Chill said "You'll kick yourself in a years time if you go with Windows 7."

If you try it and after the 90 days still dont like it, then install W7, guarantee W7 will feel old.

mzee
10-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Why do you need XP? I use W7 and some of my software came out with W95! I have only found a couple of programs which will not run on W7 as is, and some ran in XP compatibility mode.