PDA

View Full Version : Telecom's 'Unlimited' Data Plan

bk T
04-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Telecom has introduced 'unlimited data (http://www.telecom.co.nz/internet/plans/ultrafibre/?nid=mm446)' plan - of course, with 'traffic management'.

A repetition of the old 'Go Large' plan?

nmercer
04-05-2014, 12:21 PM
use Bigpipe then

Cato
04-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Don't forget this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dr6vW3YXQ

Digby
04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
I'd never trust any offer from Telecom.

There is always a catch in it.

I have not used them for 6 or 7 years and never will.

Agent_24
04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
A repetition of the old 'Go Large' plan?

Probably, just like Big Time after it...

dugimodo
04-05-2014, 05:45 PM
It's the traffic management that always killed it for me, messed up my gaming which I never understood. Some opinion seems to be that gaming is a big bandwidth hog but it's really not, watching a medium quality youtube video uses far more than most games for example. Sure it can add up to a bit over a month if you game constantly but it's not that bad really. This one seems to exclude gaming from the traffic management but once bitten and all that. If I knew my normal activities such as Gaming, Streaming, Youtube, and general surfing would not be adversely affected I'd be all for it, but I don't trust that to be the case after previous experience with Go Large

I just went and looked at my usage logs, seems the TiVo has caused my usage to be un-metered (which I knew about) for over a year now(which I was surprised at) so I have no Idea what my average usage is and already am uncapped effectively :) I thought that would end with Caspa but it hasn't.

I'd never trust any offer from Telecom.

There is always a catch in it.

I have not used them for 6 or 7 years and never will.
Fair enough you don't want to use them but if you've not used them in so long you can't really be sure there's "always" a catch. Unless by catch you mean there are cheaper ISPs available.
All deals from all companies have terms and conditions, if you don't read them I'm not sure that makes them a "catch"

Anyway, not advocating Telecom just saying I've always had good service from them apart from my Go Large experience and would only really complain on price if anything about my current plan.
When fibre arrives in my street in 2016 I may take a serious look at who to go with then.

Renegade
04-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Don't forget this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dr6vW3YXQ

Oh dear, the hip-hop "culture" think the ad is racist :groan:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/10002825/Telecom-cops-flak-over-racist-ad

inphinity
05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Either they're not shaping anything yet, or it's negligible. Still getting 10MB/sec for steam & torrent speeds.

psycik
05-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Go large never bothered me, I loved when I was on it. And will be goin gon to this - hopefully via naked ufb. Speed - who cares, not having to worry about bandwidth is a bonus.

Also I'll check out voda and orcon as well, as the telecom offering is a little dearer than others.

DeSade
05-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Almost as good as a politician at talking in circles.

What types of traffic do you manage?
We will manage the traffic types that we need to in order to provide the best possible experience for the most customers. Most of the time this just means managing the types of traffic that are non-interactive to minimise any impact to you.

Agent_24
05-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Probably the same as the unlimited plans before, Bittorrent and other P2P mostly, I can't remember, though my connection was only 2MBit ADSL back then so it was probably too slow to notice anyway.

inphinity
05-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Also I'll check out voda and orcon as well, as the telecom offering is a little dearer than others.

For UFB + home line, Telecom and Vodafone are both $109 for 30Mbps and $139 for 100Mbps, and both offer $10 discount for having an eligible mobile on the same account. Orcon are $99/$129 respectively.

Chilling_Silence
05-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Yeah I've got a friend on Orcons flat-rate
They say "Yeeeah we've got customers who use like 1TB a month on our connection and we don't shape them at all".
Silly buggers, that may sound "super" to their prospective customers, but in reality, you're screwing over all the other customers coz you'll be hitting your international circuit limits and just letting the protocol (TCP or UDP) handle it, so for gaming, usually UDP, that just means "drop the packet"... Drop the packet?! Yeah that's great for gaming... or voice... :-/

Digby
05-05-2014, 08:51 PM
yes I hope they hurry up with those second and third undersea cables.

Chilling_Silence
05-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Current international pricing isn't _that_ bad though when you're buying 10 gigabits at a time.

plod
05-05-2014, 09:51 PM
It's the traffic management that always killed it for me, messed up my gaming which I never understood. Some opinion seems to be that gaming is a big bandwidth hog but it's really not, watching a medium quality youtube video uses far more than most games for example. Sure it can add up to a bit over a month if you game constantly but it's not that bad really. This one seems to exclude gaming from the traffic management but once bitten and all that. If I knew my normal activities such as Gaming, Streaming, Youtube, and general surfing would not be adversely affected I'd be all for it, but I don't trust that to be the case after previous experience with Go Large

I just went and looked at my usage logs, seems the TiVo has caused my usage to be un-metered (which I knew about) for over a year now(which I was surprised at) so I have no Idea what my average usage is and already am uncapped effectively :) I thought that would end with Caspa but it hasn't.

Fair enough you don't want to use them but if you've not used them in so long you can't really be sure there's "always" a catch. Unless by catch you mean there are cheaper ISPs available.
All deals from all companies have terms and conditions, if you don't read them I'm not sure that makes them a "catch"

Anyway, not advocating Telecom just saying I've always had good service from them apart from my Go Large experience and would only really complain on price if anything about my current plan.
When fibre arrives in my street in 2016 I may take a serious look at who to go with then.being a tivo user I hope you are on the smallest plan

gary67
06-05-2014, 06:35 AM
For UFB + home line, Telecom and Vodafone are both $109 for 30Mbps and $139 for 100Mbps, and both offer $10 discount for having an eligible mobile on the same account. Orcon are $99/$129 respectively.

We have Snap UFB and it costs $75 a month way cheaper than the others for 100 Gb and free national calling