PDA

View Full Version : Gout - the 'disease of kings'

kingdragonfly
02-05-2014, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine is suffering from Gout.

"Often called the 'disease of kings' because of its association with the rich foods and copious alcohol once available only to aristocrats, gout is staging a middle-class comeback as American society grows older and heavier. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/health/13gout.html?_r=0

A humorous story about Gout, from an American founding father and general party animal, Benjamin Franklin:

http://www.bartleby.com/109/3.html

"FRANKLIN. Eh! Oh! eh! What have I done to merit these cruel sufferings?

GOUT. Many things; you have ate and drank too freely, and too much indulged those legs of yours in their indolence.

FRANKLIN. Who is it that accuses me?

GOUT. It is I, even I, the Gout. "

DeSade
02-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Gout is no laughing matter.
It is extremely painful and quite often very hard to mitigate.

pctek
02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Gout (also known as podagra when it involves the big toe) is a medical condition usually characterized by recurrent attacks of acute inflammatory arthritis—a red, tender, hot, swollen joint.

High levels of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia) is the underlying cause of gout. This can occur for a number of reasons, including diet, genetic predisposition, or underexcretion of urate, the salts of uric acid.

So laughing at someone about their drinking isn't helpful.

kingdragonfly
02-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I think you've missed the point. Benjamin Franklin's story about gout is humorous, not the condition.

Similarly, I've heard several comedy routines from comedians with Parkinson. As you can imagine, everyone was very nervous about laughing.

Looking to the bright side, instead of wallowing in self-pity, is always the best medicine.

Greg
02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Had it in a mild form several years ago. It disappeared after a few months never to return.

DeSade
02-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Had it in a mild form several years ago. It disappeared after a few months never to return.

Lucky bastard!

bonzo29
02-05-2014, 03:56 PM

I had it about 22 years ago in my big toe , it was too painful to even rest a bed sheet on it.
It visited me again in my index finger just before Christmas 2013 with a swelling to twice the normal size and infinitely too painful to left click a mouse!
Moral...... never say never Greg and make a note in your long term diary!!!!!

WalOne
02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
I had it a year or so ago, so b***** painful it was impossible to walk on my feet. Woke up with it and had to crawl on my hands and knees to the bathroom, took me about 10 minutes (just as well I didn't have diarrhea). Dr made a house call, then the pharmacist delivered the prescription which worked within 30 minutes. Tests showed it was triggered by spinach of all things. So I stopped my daily indulgence of poached eggs on a nest of steamed spinach and ham to once a week ... :crying

Whenu
02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Used to be a regular sufferer, cut down on draught beer and sugar, have been really good since.

wotz
03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Had it once in my knee. Painful as. One of my medications increased my susceptibility to it, so that one is gone.

Bobh
03-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I get gout from time to time - usually in the foot. After limping badly on one foot for a few days the gout goes away from that foot and travels to the other foot so that I end up limping badly on the that other foot. People could be excused for thinking that I have forgotten which foot to limp on.

Kings are welcome to this condition and I do not think that it is fair that us peasants should have it as well. I love spinach but nowadays I leave it alone for Popeye the Sailor Man to have. My doctor gave me a list of foot to avoid (including oysters).

Peter H
03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Ask your Doctor about "Prednisone" It is a corticosteroid. Has worked wonders for me on two occasions, once
for my knee when I literally couldn't move - Doc made a home call, a rarity in this day and age - and
2 weeks ago for toe problems.

Bobh
03-05-2014, 04:47 PM
My doctor prescribes Diclofenac. It eases the symptoms.

DeSade
03-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Prednisone has a few cons to it but it is useful.
I use Naproxen which is a strong anti-inflammatory and it works wonders.