PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 29 - Chrome UI ripoff - and fix...

Agent_24
30-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I stupidly installed Firefox 29 without checking what had changed, got a horrible surprise when the UI turned into an awful abomination resembling Chrome.

But don't fear, if you want your Firefox to look normal again, install this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/ :thumbs:

pcuser42
30-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Have to say though that the old look was starting to look dated, especially on Windows 8. Good to see a refresh :thumbs:

Agent_24
30-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Each to their own...

wainuitech
30-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Have to say though that the old look was starting to look dated, especially on Windows 8. Good to see a refresh :thumbs: Been using it for several months now in a Virtual Machine -- In the form of Firefox Auroa - its got the same features, style and workings as FF29.

Which when compared to chrome is very similar in many ways.

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeh I actually quite liked it when it updated today. That and the moving of the toolbar buttons around and stuff, very nice.

I still use Chrome as my primary :)

Rod J
01-05-2014, 03:07 PM
I like it so far.

I actually switched Firefox's tabs to look similar to Chrome's (at the top of the screen) some time ago as I got used to that when working on my brother's laptop (he prefers Chrome). I also turned off the drop-down menu's to give me more screen space at the same time. So, the new look actually doesn't look much different than what I was using before.

I like the new menu buttons on the right too, AdBlock Plus is now more accessible and doesn't take a whole line of screen space like it did before.

pctek
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
But don't fear, if you want your Firefox to look normal again, install this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/ :thumbs:

Thanks for that. I hate Chromes layout/menu.

Terry Porritt
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
The status bar add-on I had disappeared, so I added this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-status-bar/?src=api

It seems to work ok, so far. I also had to search around a bit for Download Helper.

Terry Porritt
02-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Since upgrading to version 29, there has been a bit more frequent problem on my setup, with closing Firefox, and when re-starting Firefox getting the message
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

I made a useful desktop shortcut to taskkill,exe a while ago when this problem seemed to surface again, I think with version 27, the target being:
C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /im firefox.exe

This kills Firefox immediately and is better than fiddling with Task Manager.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Since upgrading to version 29, there has been a bit more frequent problem on my setup, with closing Firefox, and when re-starting Firefox getting the message
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

That's nothing new, it used to happen with previous versions too. And it still hasn't been fixed

bk T
02-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Upgraded to FF29. Quite the same, nothing much so unusual about!

What's the big deal?

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Obviously it looks like Chrome. Doesnt worry me, I dont like Chrome !

Agent_24
02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

I haven't had that, but Firefox does take a few seconds to close if I have had a lot of things open, as long as you wait for it to shut down before you start it again it works.

02-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Ive stopped updating FF, ever since they 'betterised' the downloads window . :groan:
If I wanted a chrome lookalike, I'd install Chrome :2cents:

gary67
02-05-2014, 08:49 PM
It's what Chrome could be if they gave people what they need, buttons that are not hidden settings where you can find them. All in all good one FF I like it.

beetle
04-05-2014, 12:30 PM
:crying:crying hate it.......i had it just how i liked it and now most of my preferences have gone........ and did the classic thing like agent said......... but a lot of my options and things have gone..............:(

i didnt even ask for a update it just changed when i opened it.........

hate it hate it hate it.............

will take me days to find things that are no longer there......... did they lose the option of updating notification thing? :(

thanks for the fix link............

Terry Porritt
04-05-2014, 12:44 PM
:crying:crying hate it.......i had it just how i liked it and now most of my preferences have gone........ and did the classic thing like agent said......... but a lot of my options and things have gone..............:(

i didnt even ask for a update it just changed when i opened it.........

hate it hate it hate it.............

will take me days to find things that are no longer there......... did they lose the option of updating notification thing? :(

thanks for the fix link............

Have a look here on how to get back some of the old look: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-disable-australis.html

bk T
04-05-2014, 12:47 PM
I didn't change a single settings - it's 99% similar to my previous version and keeps all my preferences.

Agent_24
04-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Some extensions may have been turned off due to incompatibility - also note that Classic Theme Restorer won't magically change it back straight away, you have to choose what you want to change in the CTR settings too.

i didnt even ask for a update it just changed when i opened it......... did they lose the option of updating notification thing? :(

With recent versions they turned on silent updates, to turn that off: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/disable-silent-updates-in-firefox/

beetle
04-05-2014, 03:31 PM
sorted some of it.............. lol thanks all. but it does visually look different........ but it works and i have most of my little quirks back...lol didnt realise how much i hated change till this happened..........:D

Digby
04-05-2014, 06:26 PM
I just wish Firefox would update their convoluted Bookmarks system.