PDA

View Full Version : Where do HP hide their reset buttons?

Billy T
29-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Hi Team

Billy Jnr is currently overseas and has left his "HP Compaq" computer for Mrs T to use in his absence. It was bought second-hand, so it is probably 5-6 years or more old by now.

This afternoon it froze while Mrs T was using it, and I figured it might be overheating so I checked the airflow and there wasn't any! It was totally choked with fluff, from the air 'intake' to the CPU heatsink, through to the exhaust at the rear.

So, I'm picking that heat was the problem, and after the fluff was removed it had cooled down anyway and restarted fine. However, for the life of me I could not see any way to reboot it without shutting it down completely, and that was my initial intention before I decided to dig a little deeper and found all the fluff.

I've seen reboot buttons behind holes so small that you needed a paperclip to activate them, but this computer has me beat, I just couldn't see any way to force a restart when locked up.

So, do some models simply not have a means to reboot other than by a total power off?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Alex B
30-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I haven't seen a reboot button on a laptop since the 90's, and probably about the same for a pre built computer tower.

inphinity
30-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Just hold Power for >4seconds to shut it off, then turn it back on. Reset buttons, as such, are not ubiquitous.

Agent_24
30-04-2014, 12:10 PM
A lot of brand-name PCs and almost all laptops don't have one.

Billy T
30-04-2014, 05:58 PM
A lot of brand-name PCs and almost all laptops don't have one.

Well! I am now re-ejumicated!

Every computer I have had in the past, or have now had/has a reset button so whaddaya know! Does that mean that the MB doesn't provide that facility or is it just a case style?

I'm real glad that my current computer has one, because if I turn it off, it may not restart, so the only way to refresh the system is do a software restart, or use the reset button if it is locked up (as it was with my 'permanently on' drive light issue a week or so back).

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

wainuitech
30-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Well! I am now re-ejumicated!

Every computer I have had in the past, or have now had/has a reset button so whaddaya know! Does that mean that the MB doesn't provide that facility or is it just a case style?

: The motherboards generally have the pins still, its the cases that don't have the button. That's name Brand PC's for ya --- narrrrrrr don't need that ;)

Billy T
30-04-2014, 11:18 PM
The motherboards generally have the pins still, its the cases that don't have the button. That's name Brand PC's for ya --- narrrrrrr don't need that ;)

Great, I'll add a switch to that computer, Mrs T is bound to lock it up some time!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg
01-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Great, I'll add a switch to that computerTry this (http://www.dansdata.com/io148.htm) home-made jobbie! ;)

linw
03-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Yep, that would do it, Billy!!