PDA

View Full Version : Recovering corrupt hard drive

pct
29-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Well I downloaded Windows 8.1 yesterday & tried doing a system image but my hard drive with all my files on it is coming up with " E is not accessible The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable "

I assumed that it was some problem with windows 8.1 but other hard drives work & just tried it on another computer and getting the same message

Is there a way I can fix this & get my stuff back ? :horrified

wainuitech
29-04-2014, 01:34 PM
What else has been done??? -- The reason for asking is making a system Image is only taking a compressed copy of the current Operating system and any programs/Data. Its NOT altering the OS in any way.

If you are doing an install ( which is totally different to imaging a drive), then its possible the W8.1 you downloaded is either corrupted, or didn't burn correctly to DVD.

pct
29-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Hey wainuitech
the files on the hard drive were there before I tried the system image. I didn't even get as far as putting anything on the hard drive yesterday, just came up with that message when I plugged it in to try and do it

I assumed it was windows 8.1 drivers or something not compatible but having tried it in another machine it gives the same message. strange because I was using it only a couple of days prior fine

I'm hoping I will be able to get my things off it as since putting 8.1 on it, all my files are on there! :(

pct
29-04-2014, 04:16 PM
ohhh sorry didn't say its my external harddrive 320gb

wainuitech
29-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Can you please clear something up, sorry But I'm reading this a little confused.

I'm hoping I will be able to get my things off it as since putting 8.1 on it, all my files are on there!

Plus

ohhh sorry didn't say its my external harddrive 320gb

Are you trying to put / install the W8 on an external hard Drive, or save the image to the external HDD. OR have windows 8 on a Computer and the files on the external HDD have disappeared ?

Secondly what are you using to make the Image, Windows 8.1 has removed the options to make images.

imaging software shouldn't wipe drives, it only makes a copy ( image file ) of the original to the location given.

This piece:
I assumed it was windows 8.1 drivers or something not compatible but having tried it in another machine it gives the same message. if it did work and now doesn't it could mean the media you are installing from has been damaged somehow, OR teh computer you are trying to put 8.1 onto isn't compatible with W8.1, not all computers are, even if they run Windows 8 OK.

As for recovery, you can always try booting the computer from a Linux CD, and you should be able to navigate through the folder structure and recover/ copy your data to an external HDD as long as it hasn't been over written, OR install a data recovery program on a working PC, attach the drive and scan/recover, again as long a the data hasn't been over written.

wainuitech
29-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Alteration to my comments above, Windows 8.1 does still have the option to make a backup image ---- Forgot, They moved it :xmouth: This article here describes how (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-find-the-system-image-tool-in-windows-8-1/) -- When it makes the image it makes it as Folder called WindowsImageBackup on the destination drive,DOESN'T"T touch anything on the existing or Destination Drive.

pct
29-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Sorry I'm not making a lot of sense. I have no issue with windows 8.1, the problem is with my external hard drive. My idea was to save an image of 8.1 on my external hard drive but when I plugged it in to make the image, I get the message " E:\ is not accessible The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable " . I thought to start with that it was a driver issue with Windows 8.1 but having plugged it into another computer (running Win7) it gives the same message

The files I mention are on the external hard drive since I did a factory reset and upgraded to 8.1, to clear the laptop completely and start fresh

Hopefully this makes more sense, thanks for your help!

wainuitech
29-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Right that makes Sense :) You would be best to load a Recovery program on W8.1, attach the External Drive then scan the drive and recover any files etc.

There are plenty of Free ones about, but some are not to flash.

A While back Giveawayoftheday had one called 7-Data Recovery 1 year licence, its actually not to bad. I saved it, if you want to try, install on the W8.1 PC, attach the external HDD, and scan it. The free version on their site only recovers 1GB, the 1 year license is unlimited.

http://www.filedropper.com/7data-recovery The program if you want it, go to that page scroll down a Tab to the box, click on the download This File, enter the code as shown - Extract it, install, enter in the codes in the zipped file - recover :)

pct
30-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Wainuitech thank you so much!!! managed to recover all I needed, thank you again. your help is very much appreciated!! :)