PDA

View Full Version : Cannot play wma files

bk T
28-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Reinstalled Win7 and found that I cannot play my collection of .wma music files with the following errors:

"You do not have the rights to play this file. Go to the content provider's Web site to find out how to obtain the necessary play rights.

Address
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/

Web pages can contain elements that could be harmful to your computer. It is important to be certain the contents is from a trustworthy source before continuing.

Are you sure you want to open the Web page?

Yes No "

Please advise.

Thanks

Greg
29-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Can't advise but a likely work-around would be to install another player - VLC is often recommended.

autechre
29-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Possibly they're protected by DRM. If that's the case, Windows Media Player should have prompted for username/password to get the license.

Did you rip them to wma or buy them from an online store?

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Go here (http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp). You have to use IE to do it. And you have to disable / untick enable protected mode (if it's ticked) under internet options / security tab first

See if that fixes it

dugimodo
29-04-2014, 12:46 PM
If you rip your own turn of the DRM setting so this doesn't happen again, protected files are tied to the PC they are on and reinstalling windows makes it appear as a different machine. Rights can be exported I think in preparation of a re-install but I don't know how you'd do it after the fact.

This is the reason people avoid DRM, it's causes more trouble than it's worth and is a fairly ineffective anti-piracy tool. MP3 doesn't have this issue and is more universally playable. I use unprotected lossless WMA files as a backup for my CD collection and 192 kbps MP3's for portable devices, no issues with playback anywhere.

Agent_24
29-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I use and recommend FLAC, it's lossless, has no DRM, open source and not a proprietary Microsoft format.

If you really love WMP you can even get a FLAC plugin for it.