PDA

View Full Version : Blardy North Shore Net outage this morning..............

Billy T
28-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Lasted till late morning and all I could get from Telecom was an automated message acknowledging that they had problems and were working on it. I'm not surprised though, a couple of days ago I was watching their team underground in the footpath access to the cables into the local exchange. I wouldn't like to work in that cramped and wet environment, so a mistake or two could be understood!

At first I thought the Thomson Tg585 v7 that I recently installed had sucked a kumara, but it wasn't that! I put my old D-Link DSL-504G back into service (I repaired it after my last outage occurred) and that didn't help so it was the service, not my gear. Couldn't post Monday Laughs for ages.

After it came back on, I checked my upload/download speeds with both the D-Link and the Thomson and the speeds were identical up and down, so I've dumped the Thomson and I'm back to using the D-Link. I prefer the D-Link because I can see when data is being transferred, I'd have to hang the Thomson on the wall to see that.

Turns out I live in a small area that is yet to be upgraded so I won't get any speed improvement for a year or more yet! :groan:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

EFFIGY
28-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Yay!!!!
For once rural Warkworth never missed a beat!

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2014, 06:49 PM
The Dlink isnt ADSL2 either is it?? So even if ADSL gets upgraded, you'll have to upgrade the modem. If you want decent speeds

Billy T
28-04-2014, 11:55 PM
The Dlink isn't ADSL2 either is it?? So even if ADSL gets upgraded, you'll have to upgrade the modem. If you want decent speeds

Yeah, I know Speedy, but it will be quite a while before they get to us poor buggers down here in the forgotten grotto, and by that time there will probably be something faster with any luck
and I'll have a new W7 computer as well by then. As it stands at present, at this location an ADSL2 modem is no faster than the old D-Link, so the upgrade can wait.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
29-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Both of those routers suck kumara though :p Grab yourself a DV130, you won't regret it!

No sign of VDSL2 in sight for you Billy T?

CYaBro
29-04-2014, 10:41 AM
It wasn't just a Telecom issue, our Vodafone customers were down as well, up here in Whangarei.
It was for 3-4 hours too.